Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

520 front axle and spindles in a C160?

rustyoldjunk

i recently ended up with a front end loader and want to eventually put it on the C160,i would like to put the swept forward front axle and spindles from a 520 on the C160.will it fit? if not what would be needed to make it fit?

gattonde

I did this mod on my C-160. You will need the forward swept front axle from a 520. Also the Gear Reduction Steering Box from a 1991 or newer 520. This Gear Reduction Steering Box will need to be located were your battery box is. And the battery moved towards the engine. I also had to raise the Gear Reduction Box. I used steel plate to raise it. I don't have a digital camera, but can answer any questions you have.

Dan Gatton

rustyoldjunk

thanks Dan,i just may be pm'ing ya some questions.

Docwheelhorse

Don't shoot me Dan but I don't think the gear reduction is neccesary.... It is a really nice add on but not mandatory. Also--why did you have to add a spacer to the gear reduction on the "C"? I have a 520-H that is going to give its gear reduction setup to one of my other tractors and besides drilling a couple holes I didn't think any other mods where neccesary. :banghead:

Tony

kpinnc

I agree with Tony. My 520 has the swept axle, but no reduction steering, and it is easily the best steering tractor I have. In fact, most folks will tell you they don't like reduction steering UNLESS they have an FEL on it, and even then it's not neccesary.

Just keep one thing in mind: The 520 heavy axle uses 1 inch spindles. You will need the front wheels from a 1990-up 520 to have the right wheels...

Good luck, and post pics! Sounds like a cool project!

Kevin

rustyoldjunk

all good info,thanks guys.good point Kevin about the wheels and thats partly why im doing it.i want the one inch spindles because i plan to eventually put my front end loader on this tractor,besides i that front end would just look good on the C160.

gattonde

Tony,

Since I couldn't put the gear reduction steering in the same location the old steering unit was, due to interference with battery. I had to move it towards the rear of the tractor, were the battery box was. In order to keep the angle of the steering wheel shaft close to were it was I had to raise the steering box. Without the shim the angle was too sharp, and I could not even force the steering wheel shaft to couple with the reduction steering box.

Does this make sense, it even sounds strange to me and I just wrote it. I will have to borrow one of the two digital cameras I have brought for my daughters and post some picts.

I never tried it with the original front end. I just thought that since I more then not leave the FEL set up it would be easier for steering.

Your correct about the front wheels needing to be replaced also. I know a place in PA that still have the spindle mod kits available, but there not cheap. If you want I can look up the phone number and give it to you. I liked the 520 set up better, that's why I went that way.

Dan

rustyoldjunk

one more question as i search for a swept fordward 520 front axle,spindles and wheels to use.what years did the 520 use the swept forward front axle and did any other models use it? 518 or? thanks jim.

gattonde

Someone on E-Bay has parted out a 520. There is a forward swept front axle and gear reduction steering listed.

Dan G

Raider12

Someone on E-Bay has parted out a 520. There is a forward swept front axle and gear reduction steering listed.

Dan G

I saw these items listed. It's a shame they parted this 520 out. Im sitting on a good engine thats just dying to be mounted on a chassie.

baerpath

Just so you know, I have JD front rims from a 200 series on my 520. Their 1 inch and other than sitting a little closer to the spindle the fit fine. Usually their a lot cheaper than the ones listed with the 520 axle.

Duane