ottonator

C-160 Automatic Transmission Pulley spinning - troubleshooting

ottonator

Model 1-0480-9

While I was cutting grass, the belt started to slip.  It looked frayed, so I was going to replace it.  I then noticed my pulley fell off.  there were some metal shaving on the splines of the shaft.  Then I couldn't get the pulley back on.  There appears to be a threaded hole in the shaft for a screw to hold the pulley in place, but the print for the C-160 Auto does not have one listed.  

The splines looked damaged and flattened by the spinning pulley. Oil was full and clean, 10-30.  

Need help on troubleshooting   

post-10427-0-18006100-1401197444_thumb.g

daveoman1966

It looks like you have destroyed the shaft.  The spline points on it should NOT be flat.  They are flat from the pulley slopping around on it, due to missing bolt to hold the pulley on tight.  The shaft is DEFINITELY threaded.  I have a C-160 with this Sundstrand pump and I have some parts to MAYBE help out.  What does the inside hub of the finned pulley look like...is it damaged too, probably is.

direct email me at:

daveoman@windstream.net

I can send some photos and such to MAYBE help out on this one.

ottonator

Below is the pulley.  The hydraulic deck was not working at all, but I was ok with it, as the cutting height was fine.  

post-10427-0-62020600-1401213131_thumb.g

daveoman1966

That pulley is ABSOLUTELY JUNK.  It was spinning on the pump shaft and thats why the splines on the shaft are flat. Your original statement of the belt slipping was wrong...this pulley was spinning freely on the pump shaft...not the belt slipping.  This pulley drives the hydraluic pump which provides power to the transmission, and to the hydraulic lift to raise / lower the mower deck.  

There is a replacement pulley on ebay NOW.  It is item # 141134371627 .  That is your starting point.  If the splines on the pump shaft aren't completely ground off or flattned, this pulley will fit.  I can't tell you to buy the pulley or not....  this is the only one I've seen for a couple weeks though. 

PLEASE .... contact me via direct emai:  

Just clik this email link:

daveoman@windstream.net

coldone

I have spare pulley if you need it.

Virgil

I had the same thing happen on my B-100 Automatic. The pulley bolt came loose and let the inside splines of the pully wear out. The shaft should not have been damaged as it is hard steel. A replacement pulley with the bolt tightened fixed the problem.

• Like 2

Catmanii

Yep, looks like you just need another pully and a bolt with washer and you will be back in business, tough luck, but it happens on workers.

Molon_Labe

I had the same thing happen on my B-100 Automatic. The pulley bolt came loose and let the inside splines of the pully wear out. The shaft should not have been damaged as it is hard steel. A replacement pulley with the bolt tightened fixed the problem.

:text-yeahthat::text-+1: and  :WRS:  Virgil  !!!

Edited by M_Bailey