rjcap

Newbie question regarding C-125

rjcap

I know I put the cart before the horse, or should I say the mower deck before the horse but I picked up a very clean 48" SD deck w/chute extension in my travels last week. I wasn't really in the market for a deck but I spotted it on CL in the Albany, NY area while I was there for work so I made arrangements to look at it. The seller had two, one was okay but the one I bought looked almost new. Other than sharpening the blades and greasing the spindles the only thing left to do is put it on my C-125. My question is, will the 12 hp Kohler have enough oomph to spin that 48" deck as the trusty 42" RD does now? I'm not afraid of having to take smaller swathes in the high stuff but will using the 48" regularly turn into a problem? 

ol550

If you are mowing when you should then you won't know the difference.  But clearing an overgrown area will

have you looking for low range.

Wheel-N-It

Should work just fine. Make sure the Kohler is putting out all 12 horses by having a clean air filter, good spark plug, and properly tuned carb.  Also make sure at WOT the engine is turning 3600 rpms, not 3400 or 3200.

rjcap

Wheel-N-It I'm good on the clean air filter, good spark and the carb is clean as a whistle, thank you Sea-Foam. Always cut at WOT. How does one tell the rpms though? Not worried about it, just wondering.

Wheel-N-It

Lots of guys use a mechanical tachometer. I have an electronic tach. So there are two ways to go about this using measuring equipment. Some guys have an ear for it. I have been kown to set the rpms by ear on a Kohler. Its not something I recommend to everyone, but to me there is a certain mechanical harmony in an old Kohler flathead when its running at the proper WOT rpm. Maybe I'm wrong about it but I have yet to have an engine failure using this method.

rjcap

Update to my original post. Well it's been two weeks since I swapped out the 42" RD deck and put on the 48" SD deck. I couple of observations. The extra cutting width is obvious, get done mowing 3 +/- acres a bit quicker. I notice absolutely no bogging down of the 12 hp kohler, my initial concern. Two things I do not like, the side discharge on the right side means I cannot get as tight to trees as I'm used to.  The deck creates a whole new "vortex" of clippings that end up on top of the deck, the foot rests and me that did not happen with the RD deck. Neither a deal breaker as the added width is nice. 

All in all though this is one tough little grass cutting machine. It goes over and through wet places on my land that my JD 400 had to wait until the fourth of July to get to.  

• Like 1

oneroadkingman

i have the same set up also and i never experince any problems either .sounds like a great find for sure.

gsummers

Yep, that side discharge has quite a vortex of blowing clippings all over everything except out where it is supposed to go, Oh well, still mows nice, just got to clean up all the time!!!