ricksrj58

need help with a WH seeder

ricksrj58

anyone have pics of the sleeve hitch mount?1000.photobucket.com/user/ricksrj58/media/DSC00373_zps69e6738f.jpg.html]DSC00373_zps69e6738f.jpg

Edited by ricksrj58

gwest_ca

Don't know how close this one is

Garry

joel_400

What company made that planter? I have one exactly like it with a david bradley name plate on it. However it is setup for three point sears/late david bradley. I would like to try to find more seed plates for the one I have.

Joel

Lane Ranger

I have a two wheel push version of this seeder.  It is a David Bradley but was made by a company in Danville, Illinois (may have been named Colvin??)that is still in business but no longer makes seeders.  

The 1961 (or 1962)  Sears Catalog has two versions listed.  

The first page of the Sears catalog has the two wheel chain driven version.   The planter opened up the furrow or planting row,  dropped the seed (using a plate  -there were 11 sizes for various types of seed, and then the row was closed and covered with soil as you pushed (or in the case of the tractor version pulled) the seeder.

Here are the two pages of the Sears catalog with the prices and more details.    Make sure to take a look at the prices of a lot of other neat things in 1961!

post-339-0-72768100-1401540191_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-68406900-1401540462_thumb.jpg

I have 12 seeder plates but found out this am looking at them that there are two  -D-12 versions.

I am placing new hardwood handles on my David Bradley seeder.

This is my seeder project:

post-339-0-02016700-1401542324_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-72048500-1401542341_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

joel_400

Do you have any duplicate plates you would part with? I only have the one plate that came with mine.

Joel

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Joel:  I sent you a PM!

jwl

I think you need part 51 in the IPL. Here is the best pic that I could find. http://www.geocities.ws/rbwheelhorsestables/Attachments/row_planter_77-01PT01.jpg

that looks like a workable hitch or at least a good repo of one. Most of the units I've seen over the yrs used one that bolts to the sides of the framework. There are a lot of different hitches, as everyone who sold them had some slightly different or better way to mount it on the tractors.

• Like 1

jwl

Do you have any duplicate plates you would part with? I only have the one plate that came with mine.

Joel

Last yr there was a guy selling new plates on Ebay. They looked pretty good, but since I have 2 full sets of 11 and some extras I use in the garden, I didn't need to get any right then. If you can find C,D,E and F12 that's ones you mostly need to plant a garden with. The rest are tiny or giant holes, and I found that one of my Planet jr's worked better. Also for those who didn't know, Planet jr seeders were used on some WH and other models of GT's. Most of the time its a 300A, sometimes its a 300, and once in a while its was a model 4 or 25. Like the Danville seeder, once again its the hitching that makes it work on with a certain tractor, the seeder units are always the same.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Here are some pics of my seeder's plates ! 

You can see the size variation on the "cups" that grab the seed as the plate turns in the seeder!

post-339-0-36020200-1401645658_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-48674200-1401645679_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-82584400-1401645699_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ricksrj58

well that shows me a wh hitch on one.is there no one on here who has one mounted on a non 3point wheelhorse?

jwl

I wouldn't think that there are more than a dozen examples of the seeder with any wheel horse hitch left, today. You should be able to put the two machine head to tail and do the math it would take to make the correct part. I'd take some card board and see if you can come up with a working item, then switch to steel after you get a correct pattern.

ricksrj58

that is what i was planning but i would have liked to see the correct wh one to duplicate.  

jwl

that is what i was planning but i would have liked to see the correct wh one to duplicate.  

well, one thought that comes to mind is Eric Red Horse, has a planet jr seeder that mounts to his walk-behind, and I believe it would have fit on an early rider also. I know its not exactly the correct item, but it would be based on what the Danville seeder would used at the tractor end.

c-series don

I have one. All original seeder,plates, mounts,etc.I can take pics and text or e mail them to you, call me 631-466-0053, Don

• Like 1

jwl

I have one. All original seeder,plates, mounts,etc.I can take pics and text or e mail them to you, call me 631-466-0053, Don

Please share with the rest of us. I'm sure there will be others looking for this info, in the future. Cant think of a better place to put it.

c-series don

Ok here are the pics of my seeder and mounting plate. This plate bolts to the Clevis hitch. I have made an adaptor to go from sleeve to clevis hitch. More pics coming in next post. File was too big to post all at once.

More pics

post-2966-0-89109800-1402362323_thumb.jp

post-2966-0-26062500-1402362343_thumb.jp

post-2966-0-37342800-1402362367_thumb.jp

post-2966-0-35981500-1402362456_thumb.jp

post-2966-0-23982500-1402363048_thumb.jp

post-2966-0-56663900-1402363062_thumb.jp

post-2966-0-55390100-1402363079_thumb.jp

• Like 1

c-series don

Actually I was able to post all at once. I hope this helps .

jwl

Actually I was able to post all at once. I hope this helps .

I'm pretty sure this will help someone, as now there are two separate posts of guys with this seeder. Thanks for standing up and putting the pictures in of the missing parts.

ricksrj58

thank you again.these pics will help.

Edited by ricksrj58