Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

frozen carb

bo dawg

I may have a dumb question here... :omg: but what is the easiest way to loosen up a carb? Its all corroded and nothing moves on it. I pulled it off the engine and thought about setting it in a can of gas and leave it set a few days. I didn't know if thats how it's suppose to be done. :banghead:

I'm not much of a carb guy and hate like heck to take it all apart. Shoot, not much of a mechanic ether, although I can take things apart... its just putting back together that's a problem. :USA:

big mike

What carb?

What motor is off?

Gas isnt really a penetrant but may work.Have you soaked the stuck spots with PB Blaster?

What about diesel fuel as a last resort?

The bad thing is if it's stuck that bad it needs a rebuild kit anyway more than likely.

Kelly

I'd try PB blaster or drop it in a can of trans fluid, that works good for freeing things up, and Mike is right, it will need a rebuild, and torn down to clean the insides up, if it's a kohler carb they are very easy.

Sarge

Try to find a can of Gibb's penetrant , works much better than anything I've found . Patience is key with old carbs, just keep putting the juice to it until it comes loose .

Sarge

Duff

Bo Dawg, I'm not much of a wrench, either :thumbs: so when I start taking things apart I try to lay out the parts on my bench or floor in the order they came off and take lots of pictures of how assemblies go together. Even with these tricks I find myself asking the fellas here for lots of help, and they're always great about coming through! :banghead:

Carbs aren't particularly tricky as long as you have a gentle touch with the innards and some patience! The first time I took one apart I was quakin' in my boots. Now I just take a deep breath and say a prayer! :USA:

Good luck!

Duff :omg:

big mike

Bo,since we are birthday buddies,if your close to northern indiana or southwestern michigan I'd be glad to help you rebuild your carb.

linen beige

Kelly brought up a good point. Transmission fluid is a pretty good cleaner. You could soak it for a day or so in some cheap ATF as a penetrating pre-cleaner to aid disassembly. Then after taking it apart, use a good carb cleaner to rinse off the residue and ATF before reassembling it with new parts.

Another thing to consider is that it may be cheaper to find another carb that's not quiet as far gone. If the carb body has corroded to the point that the shafts are frozen in place, etc. then it likely also has some pretty fair pitting that could affect gasket sealing surfaces, the shafts would probably need bushings, the needles and jets will need replacing,..... It most likely will need more parts than just a standard rebuid kit and would cost more to redo right than another carb that just needs a simple cleaning and kit parts to be good as new.

I would find another carb and gather up the parts to get IT into shape. I would also go ahead and see what I could do with the old one though, if for nothing more than a guide on rebuilding the new one. Who knows, you just might end up with two good carbs.

bo dawg

I appreciate the help with this guy's. I dont know what brand carb it is, its off an 80's k341st that was given to me. I was told it ran when they put it in storage.

I never heard of ATF being used to loosen up stuff, that's good to know. I did spray some PB a couple times on it but nothing happen, and was afraid to try and force anything to move. The big thing is the choke is stuck bad, along with the set screws not turning but like I said I haven't forced them either.

I was afraid that you guy's were going to tell me I will need to rebuild it.

Big Mike I appreciate the offer to help me rebuild it, but I live north of Richmond, IN. Although I am traveling to Litchfield, MI. for a meeting on Thursday, but wont have time to work on it. I will try more of the penetrant and see what happens before I do the ATF just in case it is workable to get running. If not then I will do like Duff said...take a deep breath and say a prayer :banghead: