Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Side or Rear discharge, preference?

nylyon

In addition to leading the "pampered" hydro / automatic life for the last 33 years, I have also only had rear discharge mowers. That is until recently when I got the 414-8 with 42" side discharge.

So far this year, I've been able to cut the lawn 2 times. The yard is still too wet to use the 416 with the recycler so I've been forced to use the 414-8 (don't all cry at once) with the 42" side. Both decks have brand new blades. I have to say, I just might actually like the way the side discharge mower cuts better than the 42"rear. The side discharge seems to have a cleaner cut and more uniform. It also blows all the clippings over making the lawn seem cleaner.

Like I've said, I haven't done a side by side comparison (yet) because the recycler is on the rear discharge and it is too wet still to use that one (plus I don't want to get the hub caps dirty :D )

What is your experience with this?

Sparky

I havent used or even owned a side deck for a Wheel Horse but heres why I like the rear discharge. For one I can get close to trees/bushes/house/sheds/gardens with either side of the deck. Second, I use my rear deck to chop up the leaves in the fall and then my son bags em with the Craftsman triple bagger. I find if their chopped once we can get twice as many in the bagger which really shortens the time spent on fall cleanup. With a side deck the leaves end up in a row( with the Craftsman anyway) which will clog the bagger chute when I come back to bag em, but the rear deck spits em out in a wider pattern so the bagger sytem can handle it.

Mike....and my 2 cents worth

nylyon

For one I can get close to trees/bushes/house/sheds/gardens with either side of the deck.

This is 100% true, I used the side discharge again and it sure stinks to have to turn the tractor around to cut in. Also, it seems that the 414 doesn't turn as sharp as the 416, probably isn't the case, but just seems that way.

Sparky

I bet ya can mow almost twice as much grass per tank of gas with the 8speed tractor than the auto. I found that my auto tractor was a gas guzzler compared to my 8 speed tractor when snow plowin.

Mike

nylyon

The 414 does seem to get better mow mileage, but the 416 is a much nicer ride. The turf tires, softer seat and over all tighter tractor makes the 416 ride like a Cadillac. My yard is like a complete swamp still. Can't wait until it dries out so I can do a cut test to see which one does a better job.

nylyon

Well, I made my decision. The rear discharge / recycler is the way to go. Today was so nice out I decided to switch the side discharge to the 416. Well, I'll tell ya, I felt like a Dale Earnhardt Jr. out there, only making left turns cause the shoot sticks out on the right side. At least the with the rear discharge I can cut close on the right or left. Can't wait for everything to finish drying up so I can use the recycler again!

*** Hey I just realized, post #100 *** Woo Hoo :D

Sparky

I'm still shocked that you have had to mow, what...twice allready this spring? I only have grass tall enough to mow near the septic tank part of my yard(the 42" rear loved it!). The majority of my grass is still dormant from the winter. Must be you live in some sort of tropical zone or something.

Mike...still not mowin!!

nylyon

This was actually the third time I've had to mow. The lawn has been so wet that you can almost see the grass grow. The winter was so warm (in the beginning) that I needed to mow a little bit in January on a section of the lawn which didn't go dormant. My neighbor mowed on Wednesday, for the first time, and it looks like its grown twice as high as before he mowed. Didn't do anything today though, today was dedicated to soccer, trying to find something called "Webkinz" (no one has them) and teaching my little one to ride a 2-wheeler, which he did great!

Sparky

"This was actually the third time I've had to mow.you can almost see the grass grow.This was actually the third time I've had to mow.you can almost see the grass grow.This was actually the third time I've had to mow." ALLRIGHT!! stop rubbin it in. I know I have slow grass :D .I'm tryin somethin new...staring at it till it grows. I stared before baseball practice and I stared some more after practice. I have to work tomorrow but my wife is a second shift nurse so maybe if I ask nicely she'll strare at it till it starts to grow while I'm at work.

Mike...with sore eyes tonight

nylyon

You're right, I'm sorry. I shouldn't rub in the agricultural robustness which I am fortunate to partake in, whilst other, less fortunate wheel horse tractor and owners wait and long for their lawns to awaken from their winter sleep.

Can't write too long, got to git back out there, looks like I need to mow yet again, can't believe how much this is growing this year, how many times is this now... 1 no, 2 nope, 3 nada 4 yeah 4 times! That's a lot of seat time, huh.

Wait, I have a plan. I am open for anyone to come on over (beer provided) and jump on the ole 416 and take care of the fescue, it's really the only fair thing to do.....

Sparky

Ummm...still not mowin :D . I got a few tall patches but it just aint the same. I usually down a beer or two and just enjoy listening to the Kohler purr (thru my foam ear plugs) but with just a few patches I'll have to guzzle the brew or I'll be done mowin before the beers empty.

So with no grass to mow I have started to get the boat ready for the season so maybe there is a bright side to all this.

Mike....with a bad case of mow-envy

nylyon

Well, now I got boat envy! I had to sell my 19' Supra Ski boat, it wasn't family friendly. Man I miss the boat! Trade ya some grass clippings for the boat!

Sparky

I'm tellin ya right now you dont want this boat! Its a 1962 16' Crestliner with a 1963 Evinrude Big Twin 40 on it. It looks as old as it is! It came to me in shambles and with a bum motor so I found an old motor and got it mounted up. The new motor came with no controls or ignition parts so I stole the starter solinoid and ignition switch from a Craftsman tractor I was getting ready to junk. That took care of that problem. Now the motor is electric start and PULL start so it has no charging sytem but usually starts with very little cranking so I only need to charge the marine battery 3 times a season at the most. I did put in brand new back to back seats so it comfy enough but definately not an eye catching boat.

Mike

Sparky

Now a certain member of this forum who will remain unnamed(I wont rat ya out Karl) has been ribbin me about my lawn. Well I actually was able to mow about half of the yard tonight! The other half needs a bit of time before its ready to mow. I even had one of my favorite beers (Busch-Lite wink-wink) and it felt great.

Mike....all better now

Sparky

Well maybe its not in the cards for me to have a lawn this year. I took out the cyclone spreader to get my 3 bags of lime down and a bag of weed-n-feed and after the second pass the plastic drive mechanism that spins the propeller type thingy implodes. Is everything made nowadays just built to be tossed out.

Mike....in the market for a new STEEL spreader

nylyon

A couple years ago I spent some big bucks on a pull behind rotary spreader for the tractor. It lasted a couple of years and crapped out, even the good ones are junk, I now have the cheap $30 job and believe it or not, it has lasted 8 or so years now. When it breaks, I'll get another $30 job.

In the 1994 WH catalog they have a really nice drop spreader with pneumatic tires. I would love to get my hands on one of those, it looks like quality. Anyway, sorry to hear about the spreader.