brandonozz

Compression fitting / end fittings for lift cable

brandonozz

I've seen several questions (and as many ideas) about how to make your own lifting cables for our horses lifts.  Searching the net tonight for something completely different I came across these end fittings for cable of all different sizes.  I have no idea what the fittings cost or pull capacity but I would think they ought to handle what we would use them for.  Looks like a very compact clean setup for those that need or want it.

http://www.hayn.com/marine/tech/himod/install.html  The site has a video of how to install the fittings as well.

KC9KAS

That looks very strong, simple but strong!

• Like 1

squonk

McMaster-Carr has them too. About $25.00 ea.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a tool for installing this type of end on a cable?

post-2221-0-62559100-1400761347.jpg

Neighbor gave me a bag of these and I thought I'd make up a couple stainless steel lift cables if I could find a portable swaging tool.

squonk

I have a swaging tool like they sell at Lowes Bob. Looks like a bolt cutter.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_348539-258-ST18BK_0__

rmaynard

Tried that one. Doesn't work with this type of end.

swarfeater

this one I whipped on  the lathe and mill, took about a half an hour. could have tapered it real nice or used stainless, but wanted to get the tiller on quick. actually if you look at some sailboat shroud fittings (compression type) you would probably find something, they come in all kinds of styles, fork, tang bolt, nut ect. and stainless would look real good, not real cheap though, refitting my Cheoy Lee offshore 27 was about  $3500 in those fittings alone, but I did use all bronze, too classy a boat for stainless.post-10918-0-85460000-1400765618.jpg

KC9KAS

I have seen swaging tools that were used with a hammer to "pound" the clamp tight.

The compression fitting that was the start of the thread was from a marine dealer.

lobo

Hello everyone, I got this item, with the help from one of our members, from Harbour Freight.  The item # is 96889, it fits 3mm wire rope, which they also have, and I have had it on my tractors for over a year and it has preformed excellent, and the cost, are you ready?  $5.99. :dance: Don't know if you can order on-line, but if you can't and you don't have a store near you I would be glad to help you in any way I can.

Good luck and hagd

post-3390-0-78994300-1400797530_thumb.jp

• Like 2

KC9KAS

lobo, I saw a couple of these at work some time ago but never found out where they came from. When I 1st saw them, I knew that would work for our cables on our WH's

Thanks for the insight on where to get them.

brandonozz

I figured being made in the UK and made of stainless they wouldn't be cheap.  Guess the $5.99 ones from China will have to do  :) 

lobo

Your welcome, being cheap isn't always bad :laughing-rofl:

rmaynard

I'm headed to my local Harbor Freight (74 miles round trip) on Thursday. That's when they are supposed to be restocked on the 96889's. Seems like a reasonable alternative to my having to get a $400 press to install the ball type swages.

squonk

I'm headed to my local Harbor Freight (74 miles round trip) on Thursday. That's when they are supposed to be restocked on the 96889's. Seems like a reasonable alternative to my having to get a $400 press to install the ball type swages.

while your there, don't buy the little plastic mini parts washer. Total junk!