IndianaMatt

417-8

IndianaMatt

I have some woodworking tools that I put on line for sale or trade. A gentleman about 1.5 hours from me is interested in trading a b-80 and a 417-8. The b-80 runs and works as it should but it wont win any beauty contest and it has a deck. The 417 is a mystery tractor it dosent run and is missing parts. I dont have much info on it. I value the tools at around $600. Is this a decent trade? Can you easily get parts for the 417 and the K17 engine?

post-10168-0-47828700-1400730480.jpg

post-10168-0-18066900-1400730497.jpg

post-10168-0-51902200-1400730512.jpg

IndianaMatt

b-80 pics

post-10168-0-68841600-1400730937_thumb.j

post-10168-0-89073400-1400731000.jpg

slammer302

I don't know much about the 417-8 besides that the series 2 was the better motor than the series 1 but the b-80's are great little mowers the one in the picture looks like it may need to have a few things fixed up on it to make it sweet in my opinion I don't see 600$ in wheel horses there.

Tankman

Ditto. I don't think six hundred bucks is a decent price.

The 417-8 is a tractor but, looks like an expensive rebuild and/or replacement of the engine is needed.

Ken B

It all depends on how bad you want the tractors. Trying to get things all Even Steven on a deal doesn't always work, sometimes someone needs to bend a little. Your tools haven't sold yet but at the same time I agree with the others, I might see 400 bucks in the two Horse's. The 417 might not be as bad as you think, but it could also be worse...

• Like 1

boovuc

If the KT17 Series II motor in that 417-8 Speed actually worked, it would be a good deal. If that motor is blown or in need of a rebuild, you lose! You lose bad!

• Like 1

rexman72

those 400 series tractors are real workers

Pickle

I overhauled a KT-17 II this winter. It was expensive. Parts are expensive and sourcing some of the parts is very difficult. Yours is missing a coil, I would imagine $100 for a coil. Not to rain on your parade but it seems you can locate much better Wheel Horses for that amount of money or trade.

• Like 1

papaglide

I would have to agree with much that has already been said. Pickle summed it up pretty well.  :handgestures-thumbdown: 

Be patient, the right deal WILL come along. You will know it when it does because you won't have to question it!! You'll say to yourself "hell yeah, that's a good deal!!"  :thumbs:

Wheel-N-It

Looks like about $300 worth of tractors there. Personally I'd rather have the $300 in my pocket. Not trying to be cold and hard here friend, just letting you know how I see this situation from the outside looking in.

IndianaMatt

I tend to agree that I may be getting the short end of the stick. I really want a 417-8 most of the ones I see are hydro and I must have gear drive. I already have a 414-8 and a 416-8 so the 417 would look nice in my garage. The guy has a 265-6 Toro, a few old Case garden tractors, and Kohler parts / engines if I can get him to throw in something more I think I have talked myself into it. 

Keeping my fingers crossed on the KT17

Oh how can I tell if it is series 1 or 2?

smoreau

Oil filter block off plate. If it has one it is a series II. All 417's were series II

• Like 1

boovuc

Unless someone replaced a Series I with a Series II Flywheel Screen, that is a Series II. 

IndianaMatt

Thanks guys

Desko

Well what ever happened did you get them or no?

IndianaMatt

Oh yea I have them, 3 wheel horse decks, a couple sets of rear fenders for B series tractors, a seat for a ???, set of ag tires, and some other stuff... I thought I did pretty well