squonk

Round hood rattle / vibration FIXED!!

squonk

My 704's hod rattled like crazy to the point of being pretty annoying. I posted here about a possible fix and Kelly suggested Cone washers from Fastenal. So there I went and the Manager and counter guy looked at me like I brought a  :wh:  to a John Deere show! They didn't even want to look to see if they could get them. They wanted a part # from me! I worked in Auto Parts for 10 yrs. and we would at least look to see if we could get what someone wanted.

Any way I tried spring washers on the thumb screws and it helped some but the hood was loose at the bottom. I could feel the nut on the hood was loose. Off the hood came again and not only was the nut loose but cracks were forming. Off to my friend Billy Bob and his tig welder. A quick paint touch up was done and I glued some rubber gasket material on the steering tower where the bolt holes are and down on the frame where the hood butts up against it. I need longer thumbscrews to use the spring washers on the top bolts but I got the hood on and all the racket is gone. I can actually hear the Kohler again!  :)

post-2380-0-03435600-1400709004_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-55700600-1400709046_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-97904100-1400709083_thumb.jp

WH nut

If I remember right, there is suppose to be a rubber grommet on the lower end and it sits on a peg.

Im

going to have to find the parts book and have a look see now

Nope sorry I was wrong disregard lol

Edited by WH nut

squonk

If I remember right, there is suppose to be a rubber grommet on the lower end and it sits on a peg.

i don't remember that on the 604 I had as a kid, but I could be mistaken.

dclarke

You're getting all kinds of stuff done, Mike.... Good for you!

Wheel-N-It

Its amazing what we do for our Wheel Horses. Good work Mike!!!

• Like 1

squonk

Its amazing what we do for our Wheel Horses. Good work Mike!!!

Being home from work I'm finding all of these little piddly things that need doing. I'm limited what I can do but I'm not bored. No need to watch old monster movies yet!  :)

DAVE L

Glad I ran across this thread! Off to the garage to fix the annoying rattle in my hood.