Madcat

314-8, 414-8

Madcat

What is the difference between a 314-8 and a 414-8 ?

papaglide

If I had to guess, it would be the bell's and whistles so to speak. 400 series had test lights and adjustable rails under the seat and also a "better" seat. The 300 series didn't have test lights and rails. also the seat was low back? The lower horsepower 300 series also had 6 inch front wheels as opposed to 8 inch. I think that the lowest hp 400 was the 414 whereas the highest hp 300 was the 414. I am sure that that I am missing something else!

WH nut

What is the difference between a 314-8 and a 414-8 ?

Im guessing 100 :ychain:

• Like 5

stratostar250

I am pretty sure the 300 series tractors have the 4 pinion differential with 1" axles, where as the 400 series tractors have the 8 pinion differential with the 1 1/8" axles, I think someone will correct me if I am wrong, though. 

Edited by stratostar250

jdleach

In 1985, the 414 wasn't offered yet, but given the info in the sales brochure, the difference was probably an hour meter, 8-pinion differential, mid or high back seat, seat adjuster, taillights, rubber floor mats, etc. Possibly regulated voltage.

As far as I can tell, the basic tractors were the same, just the addition or subtraction of features. Also, the feature list grew with each passing year. My 1985 312-8 had the mid-back seat, volt meter, unregulated voltage supply, seat springs, and headlights. By 1988, the same tractor had at least the hour meter added, and I believe a regulator and halogen headlights.

It gets kind of confusing. The model line-up for 1985 was, discounting the 100 and 200 series, the 310-8, 312-8, 314-8, 314A, 416-8, 417-8, and 417H. In later years, they added more engines and features. Many, if not most, of the options offered were backwardly compatible with previous models.

nylyon

My 414-8 does not have an hour meter or adjustable seat.  My understanding of the differences are in the rear pinions and potentially the size of the hub, although I believe that there are exceptions.  

jdleach

My 414-8 does not have an hour meter or adjustable seat.  My understanding of the differences are in the rear pinions and potentially the size of the hub, although I believe that there are exceptions.  

Interesting.

I suppose the only way to really know, is to examine the sales brochures for the years in question. Then again, that may not work out so well. It is entirely possible that dealers installed various options on tractors that otherwise did not come with them. Years ago when I worked at a Chrysler dealership, we occasionally did such at customer request.

slammer302

I've never had a 414-8 but I have had a 1997 314-8 it had all the warning lights and hour meter and a adjustable high back seat 8 inch front wheels and a 8 pinion rear end I believe it was a awesome little wheel horse

Racinbob

That depends on the year. 4 pinion, 8 pinion, 6" or 8". 300's had both. Much like the B series. Some B's had 4 speed, 4 pinion, other years had 8 speed, 8 pinions. Madcat, if you're wanting to know in order to make a choice I'd suggest looking at the tractors being considered. Either will be one tough cookie.

Wishin4a416

I too think the year had a lot to do with it. My 87 312-8 has a mid high seat, 1 1/8 axles, hour and volt meter and test lights. I own a 414 too. The only big difference is the 6 vs 8 inch front wheels between the 2 I own. 414 has no hour meter.

MalMac

Also a lot would depend on the year of the 314. My 94 has the bigger rear axels, bigger front wheels, high back seat, hour meter plus amp gauge. The rear tires are 9.50's VS the 8.50's. It came from the factory this way. I know this because I was the one to open the Crete/Box and set it up.

• Like 5

papaglide

Gotta love Wheel Horse! It seems all tractors were built with a "if we got it use it, if not don't" mentality.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

The Difference: Marketing...

AMC RULES

Indifferent...  :handgestures-salute:

as long as it sells. 

chip61

I had been wondering about the differences too-the 96 314-8 that I have has the test lights, high back seat, hour meter and larger front and rear tires. This thing will run circles around my father in law's 46" "20"hp Cub Cadet. My 14hp Kohler does much better in tall thick grass than that wannabe 20hp! (and mine cost me a whole lot less than his cost him) His does have a cup holder though lol

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I'm not the most qualified person to answer this question. I can tell you a little about my own 414 and 314. Both are Magnum 14 powered. Both are loved. :wub:

The 314 has an hour meter, the 414 does not.

Both have high back seats.

Same size wheels and tires for both.

1&1/8" axles for both. I have no idea about the pinions.

Both have high and low speed adjustable carbs.

leeave96

My 97 year model 314-8 has the Magnum engine, 1-1/8 inch axles and the 8 pinion tranny.  When I bought it new, the 312-8 had the Magnum, 1-1/8 inch axles, but a 4 pinion tranny.

I know some 314-8 had 4 pinion trannys in them and maybe 1 inch axles.  I feel certain the late model 314-8's with the Toro/Wheelhorse logo - the one with the smaller Toro decal and larger Wheelhorse lettering had the 8 pinion, 1-1/8 axles and Magnum engines.  I also feel certain that all of the 414-8 tractors had the 1-1/8 axles, 8 pinion tranny and either a K-series or Magnum engine depending on year.  I think the only decals on those were Wheelhorse - no Toro markings.

IMHO - the Wheelhorse with a 14 hp Magnum (read electronic ignition), 1-1/8 inch axles and 8 pinion tranny had to be one of the best garden tractors ever produced by any manufacturer.  I feel fortunate to have bought one new.

I have thought about riding myself of some of my fleet and keeping only 314 and 414 type tractors in the above configuration, hydro and gear drive.

YMMV!

Wheel-N-It

How can I tell which of my tractors has the 4 pinion and which has the 8 pinion?

leeave96

How can I tell which of my tractors has the 4 pinion and which has the 8 pinion?

Van - I'm speaking out of turn here, but I remember when I bought my first Wheelhorse new, the 314-8, I had a brochure that mentioned the 4 vs 8 pinion and the axle diameter.  Back then the only forum was over on Yahoo and I seemed to remember having read or asked about the 4 vs 8 pinion.  The price between the 314 and 312 was close enough, coupled with my thought (can't believe I actually believed this - but did) this would be the only garden tractor I would EVER buy and so I'd go for the 14 hp and the 8 pinion rear end - LOL!

So - to get back at your question, I know my 314-8 has the 8 pinion axle (a 1997 year make), but I think probably the best way to determine (maybe) is to look at the name plate under the seat and from there go to the Toro (or Parts tree) website and look at the exploded view of your tranny.

Here is the link to partstree.com and my tractor's tranny.  It is an 8 pinion.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=73402%2C+314-8+Garden+Tractor%2C+1997+%28SN+7900001-7999999%29

I would also note that many questions have been asked 4 vs 8 pinion, including my own and I've come to the conclusion that the 4 pinion is a very stout tranny too.  I think maybe the 10 pinion is the weaker link in the Wheelhorse tranny offerings - but if you don't abuse it, like jerking stumps can last a lifetime.

That's what's cool about the Wheelhorse - they're all GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know what you have in your tractors.

Thanks,

Bill

Racinbob

Folks, I could be wrong but don't all 8 pinion diffs have the 1 1/8" axles and 4 pinions the 1"?

Wheel-N-It

Thank you Bill and Bob for trying to answer my question. I'll have to work on this if I ever get any spare time. So far I have never broke a transmission or axle.

RSWHF
On 5/21/2014 at 1:25 PM, nylyon said:

My 414-8 had an hour meter and adjustable seat. Does this mean it is a hybrid ?

123GO

Better late than never here--

My 1988 414-8 has dash lights, no hour meter nor sliding seat rails but' a hi-back seat.   It had "Had" dual oval rear reflectors not real tail lights.  I replaced with tail lights. Has 14hp Kohler Magnum with the 1 1/8 axle (8 pinion). Also' 8" front wheels.

My opinion fwiw:

This is for the same yr/models that are just slightly different here and there... Not actual option changes for separate yr/model tractors , just one answer as to why "my" 1988 414-8 has it but "your" 1988 414-8 don't?

I worked in many different factories for decades building Whirlpool products, most makes of vehicles built in the US & even Military Gun/Rocket stuff too & while most days run like clockwork other days come up a bit short for so many reasons. It just happens folks!  

When it does occur if there's anyway to keep production going we'd just use other parts that work to keep production lines moving.  VERY LIMITED THOUGH!!

Say' for example your building 600  414-8 that are supposed to have an hour meter but' you just ran out of hour meters (35 short). Now you have to either stop & change the assembly line over to build a different model tractor (can take hours) or substitute say a 314-8 dash without the meter hole instead meaning no production downtime. 

My 1976 B-100 8spd has a plastic plug in the hole and a meter could be slipped right in at anytime & most tractors used the same dash plate anyway back then. Seems this wonderful idea must have ended somewhere between 76-88, I guess with A/B/C tractor design?

Now' after tractors finished, a Wheel Horse dealer soon gets one without meter, that's when he & his customer decide to either leave it without a meter or order the correct parts and swap them. This is "If" a customer even asks about a missing meter, bet on it.

Oh well' this is a big reason some differences occur and not only for hour meters but for lights, seats, decals & any other part that can be substituted easily to finish a run. Honestly that would be most parts on a wheel horse if you could just imagine? 

Edited by 123GO

AHS
On 5/21/2014 at 9:48 PM, papaglide said:

Gotta love Wheel Horse! It seems all tractors were built with a "if we got it use it, if not don't" mentality.

I’ve had 20+- wheel horse tractors. It seems that “ if we got it, use it” like hours meters, amp meters, oil light exc. it seems like The 80’s 310 that I have has all of those and my late 90’s 312 only has an hour meter and 1 1/8” axles. “If not, don’t”. Although I’ve never had a 400 series... I think the only difference is tires. The 300 series used 1” and 1 1/8” axles.

cleat

A little off topic but my 312H has the 1100 trans with hydraulic lift, volt and hour meters, and a full set of indicator lights.

Yet they put the 700 trans with manual lift in a 516/518 go figure ?

Cleat