Fordiesel69

Extend 312-8 dipstick tube so this doesn't happen.........

Fordiesel69

On my 1993 312-8 the dispstick tube is short.  Therefore you have to reach way down in, and when it finally comes out this is the result.

On the late 1980's 312-8's the tube is much longer.  What is the deal?

post-7755-0-04745400-1400671829_thumb.jp

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Different years different specs, who knows why.  I have a C-100 that has the screw in type next to the block, C-125 has the long dip stick.  I have 2 engines out of C-81s one has short pull out dip stick the other is screw in plug type.

Fordiesel69

I apoligize I did not specify.  I am talking about the dipstick for the transmission.  On my 1988 312-8, GT-1642's, 314-H, and C-121's, the dipstick tube is long and is accessible by lifting the seat and it is literally right there.  The 1993 312-8 and my B-100 is way down inside, and you had to reach down thru a square opening, and put your entire back into it, to get the damn thing out.  I have sliced my arm every time because it is stuck at first, and then just lets loose.

My goal is to see if anyone has ever had luck unscrewing this tube without breaking it, and putting the longer version in.   

bmsgaffer

I have replaced two transmission dipstic tubes, but I replaced long ones with long ones. I dont know if the short ones are any different, but I just used an adjustable wrench and some gentle pressure on the square section at the bottom and they came right out.

Desko

Nope they are not any different all you need is the long tube and the dipstick and you will be all set.

slammer302

My b-60 has the short tube instead of sticking my arm down the hole I just pull it from behind the mower

There is no gas tank under the seat on a b-60 so I'm lucky I guess

Fordiesel69

My 312 have the gas tank right in the way, but your right the b-100 I just get from the back.

WH 312-8 Fan

I know this post is like 14 months old, but I did exactly what you're talking about. I traded for a parts tractor and it came with a tall transmission dipstick. I did what BMSgaffer did, although I had the fenders off to do it. I couldn't swing the wrench enough to do it with out damaging the tube. Once I had the proper swinging room, I switched 'em out .I checked that the dipstick protrudes past the threads the same distance so that "full" means "full" on both. I was just being paranoid I guess.

anyway, they switch just fine.  

Maxie
I have the same problem getting the transmission dipstick out of my '91 Classic 312-8.   I usually bruise my arm getting it out. I have the back fender off now so I would like to put a long tube and dipstick on it.  Which one should I get? I've seen several on ebay but is there a particular model # I should get?
Edited by Maxie