oldlineman

striped out allen on drain plug

oldlineman

Hi all my brother has a 312-H and the drain for the tranny is striped ( the allen wrench hole). Just wondering if anyone here has had this happen and what the easiest fix would be. We thought about drilling out the center of the plug and trying an easy-out. Only problem is if that doesn't work you have a hole where a plug should be. Need some advice from you guys. Thank you for all off your help.  Bob 

cleat

One of my 520's is the same way. I got it this way. If I ever get it out I will use a standard hex head drain plug.

For now I just pump out as much oil as possible, replace the filter, fill it up and go.

Cleat

• Like 1

baerpath

If it's not flush try a pair of vise grips. Have done it that way before. Didn't like the idea of drilling just in case of ending up with metal inside the rear.

stevasaurus

Bob...as I remember...there exists a couple of threads on what you have going on there.  Try doing a search, or maybe someone will remember where the thread is at..  Spot welding a short bolt in the hole was the best one I saw.  :)  Is the trans out of the horse??

• Like 1

jdleach

In order of difficulty, I would:

1. Try grabbing what plug extends from the case with vise grips, or file two opposing flats on the plug for a wrench. My drain plug has about 1/8" or a little more that sticks out.

2. Using a small, flat nosed punch, develop a dent in the face of the plug, the turn the punch down and out, gently rapping it with a hammer in the direction of unscrewing the plug. There is a bit of a knack doing this, as the punch tends to want to crawl out of the depression, but it can work. As a toolmaker, I have removed hundreds of broken bolts, studs, and taps this way.

3. Drill it out for an E-Z out. You may get some metal fragments in the case, but most of these can be fished out with a wire and small magnet.

4. Spot weld a bolt onto the offending plug, then screw it out. If you have a welder, this is probably the easiest way with the tranny still in the tractor.

• Like 1

TT

chazm

Here's the ticket @ HF $7.99         :handgestures-thumbupright:            5 Piece Pipe Nipple Extractor Set

image_13867.jpg

oldlineman

Thanks guys great ideas! no Steve the tranny is in the tractor, my brother just said he was going to change the oil and it striped, he may not have made sure that it was cleaned out full depth, I found this true on my own tractors. We will try the torx  idea and pipe nipple extractor first, with the extractor do you have to make the hole deeper Chasm. Thanks All

jdleach

Here's the ticket @ HF $7.99 :handgestures-thumbupright: 5 Piece Pipe Nipple Extractor Set

image_13867.jpg

Damn! Forgot about those. And I even have a set, owned them for 30 years.

Desko

When I got mine out I put a regular hydro line cap that is for a 1/2" wrench

slammer302

Pipe wrench worked for me several times

KC9KAS

Thanks guys great ideas! no Steve the tranny is in the tractor, my brother just said he was going to change the oil and it striped, he may not have made sure that it was cleaned out full depth, I found this true on my own tractors. We will try the torx  idea and pipe nipple extractor first, with the extractor do you have to make the hole deeper Chasm. Thanks All

You do not need to make the opening in the Allen Headed plug deeper.

Just tap the largest one that fits into the hole and turn left (counter-clockwise) to unscrew....It works very much like an "Easy-Out".

oldlineman

Thanks for the ideas this plug seems to be made out of alu. or white medal not sure if that is original or not all of mine are cast iron. We tried Torx but just striped to soft, will get extractors and see if they work. If not probably leave in and suck hot oil out to replace. Thank you guys Bob 

Joefrommi65

Maybe try hammering a metric Allen wrench in or at work I have a set of socket outs they are tapered Allen type tool used for stripped Allen head bolts.

oldlineman

just an update we got the plug out pipe nipple extractors worked thanks for all the info. did not want to drill the plug out. Harbor Freight came through again! 

Tankman

Don't need 'em often but, have always kept a set of extractors in my tool box. Handy little things!   :laughing-rofl:

rexman72

this is great info

Joefrommi65

Good Job !!!!!!