Eric857

throttle cable problems

Eric857

Hello Redsquare,

I finished my tractor restoration but i realized my throttle cable was messed which is why the machine was not running right. There was always a constant pressure being applied to the throttle because when i originally cut the cable I made it a wee bit to short :banghead:  so last night the new throttle cable I ordered came and so i cut off the only one because it was useless to me and when I wen to put the new one on it is too long even though I specifically bought the one that is for a wheel horse tractor. Now i have to either cut this one and lose the factory bend on the very end of the cable or deal with it being a little too long. It works the way it is now all i have to do is take the excess cable and stick it under the hood behind the grill. any suggestions? This is the only thing stopping me from getting to drive the machine once again, something I haven't gotten to do in 7 or 8 months I AM HAVING WITHDRAWAL HERE!!!! :angry-cussingwhite:  :angry-cussingwhite:  :angry-cussingwhite:  :ranting:  :ranting:

Thanks  

Martin

You can bend the end of the inner cable to match the factory bend. Just use a pair of needle nose pliers.

First though, cut the bent end off the inner ( leave an inch or so to give you a pattern for bending the end again) and pull the inner out all the way. Now mount the outer in the correct position and route it to the engine using the correct path, let the cable find its own path, gentle curves, not tight as it will make it hard to operate. Once the outer is looking right cut it to length. Now let the outer come out straight and insert the inner all the way in. Once in all the way, mount the end of the outer in the clamp on the engine and cut the inner at the correct length, allow a little extra for the bend you need to put on the end of the inner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Eric857

thank you that was a new way to look at it. I kinda did that to a point when i tried the first time but im must have missed a step, i was trying to figure it out as i went. Thanks, i will give that a try later on tonight when i have time to tinker.

i actually have a tool for making that Z bend on thew inner wire , got it from Primeline....works great!

but as said , a needle nose will do it too

KC9KAS

I use a needle nose AND another pair of pliers to hold the wire as I am bending...I get a better, tighter bend this way.

Kelly

I have the Z bender, but use needle nose pliers they make better bends, after you get the housing cut to size run the inner all the way back in, but before cutting the inner to size practice your bends on the end a few times so when you cut your final cut, you have a better chance of the bend turning out nice. 

• Like 1