Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

What a difference 200+ miles makes

T-Mo

Today it was near 60. I worked outside in my shirt sleeves all day until it started raining. The system that brought the rain was dumping heavy snow in Kanas City and all of north western to western Missouri. At 5 it was 55 degrees here and 24 degrees in Kansas City. High winds caused near white out conditions in north western Missouri. Here the temperature is dropping and is gotten very windy (it's after 10 pm now). By the time the moisture moves east we may see a light dusting of snow. What a difference a few hours and a few miles makes.

Curmudgeon

Yeah, I'm in direct line for the crap that went north of you. Right now it's raining and the wind is blowing about a billion miles an hour (ok, I'll admit to a slight exaggeration there) can hardly wait for the cold part to blow in.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale

Rollerman

I have not stepped outside to feel how cold it is or how hard the wind is blowing, but I can hear it!

I see the wind managed to yank the tarp off my 1ton roller & scatter the bricks holding it in place too...the roller seem to be staying put though :D

nylyon

It's rain and warmer here 40's, and in some aspect I'm looking forward to the rain to wash off salt and sand off the car!

T-Mo

Here it is - morning - and it's in the upper 20's here, not real cold yet. But with that wind still blowing it's going to be a cold one outside today. At least it's sunny now, no precip, frozen or otherwise. The snow got as close to us as about 40 miles west of here. We just got rain which had fallen before the cold front move through.

Rollerman

Terry old post but same deal.

Was typing to a friend down in that southern pointy end of IN last night.

Said is was snowing pretty good last night...your not to far off...did you get any weird weather in MO? :D

Seems like all the snow stayed below indy in my state..... :P

T-Mo

This week it's been pretty "normal" with highs in the 30's and lows in the upper teens. We got a few snow flurries overnight into this morning, but that's it. Tomorrow and tomorrow night, the temperatures are supposed to drop - into the mid-single digits for Friday night. The thing was last Saturday it was close to 60. But two weeks ago it was in the 70's one day and then tornadoes that night as a cold front tried to make it's way east. "Normal" in Missouri for January is anything between 0 and 60, I say.

CasualObserver

Terry... I envy your 30s! It's freez.gif and snowing.gif here right now. Our high today is supposed to be 10, 7 tomorrow and -3 ice_block.gif on Sat. yes, that's right, high of -3 low of -12 or -15.

nylyon

Jason, I love your smilies!

Rollerman

Jason my area is calling for a low of -3 here this weekend.

Feel sorry for you...I could not do it! :P

Have you considered moveing?...Terry in MO will probably give you his guest bedroom if you have a snowplow for his tractor? :D

If all else fails...burn a John Deere & stay warm. :(

T-Mo

Now, now, Stephen. We wouldn't want to do that. Just sell the JD and buy an outside furnace.

I always been amazed at how low the temperatures are for some of my northerly neighbors. I have seen -20 once here, but that's been a while - a great while. We usually have about 2 periods in the winter where we flirt with zero or sub-zero temperatures. The last few years these periods have been a few degrees warmer - say 0-5 degrees. Now our summers - let's just say I've seen people from the deep south complain about our humidity here in Missouri. :D

combatmp29r

I know I've spent alot of time out at Fort lost in the Woods in Misery, I mean Missouri. :D

The weather there has actually been really liveable compared to some places like Fort Snelling MN, or Fort McCoy WI. A few hundred miles can make quite a difference though. I went to PA to pick up a couple horses back in August. Drove about 213 miles each way roughly. Left Ohio at 5am and it was already 70. stopped and picked one up on the border, and then drove over to York county PA to get the other 2. Between the border and York Conuty it went from 92 degrees to 56 degrees. Who would have thought that I would need a coat in August in the day time? Because of the difference in temp it felt like 30.

T-Mo

I know I've spent alot of time out at Fort lost in the Woods in Misery, I mean Missouri.

That's what I called it when I was there - I spent two tours at Fort Lost in the Woods, or Little Korea, as it was also called. :D

combatmp29r

Its the home of the MPs now since they closed Fort McClelland. So everything school wise is either there or Ft Irwin CA.

T-Mo

I was there because it's also where the Combat Engineering AIT is done, and it's also home for the 5th Engineering Battalion. It was called "Little Korea" because after your stay at the 5th, your next orders sent you to Korea. And it was, more than likely, your first duty after serving in Korea. 12Bs bounce from Ft. Leonardwood and Korea and vice versa.

CasualObserver

I got to spend my tour on the beach... Camp Pendleton, CA, Camp LeJeune, NC and Camp Kinser, Okinawa, Japan. I really miss the days on Kinser... I could look out my barracks room and see the reefs.

OH, and just watched the weather at noon... Sat projected high still -3, but the low is down to -16, before the wind chill. Supposed to be some good wind to, so I'm sure we'll see -30 windchills maybe even lower.

combatmp29r

Yeah my cousin is a 12B well they're not 12Bs any more, but I couldn't tell you what the new designator is. He's on his 3rd vaction to the big beach right now. He's with a reserve Multi Bridge Unit. Before you ask Terry the Army in their infinate wisdom, decided that they needed to change all the 180 enlisted MOS designators to match the 30 some Officer ones. God forbid they change those nes. So after many years the MPs are now 31Bs not 95Bs :D

combatmp29r

Oh and Jason OOORAAH!!!!!!!

CasualObserver

Thanks Joel. And to any others out there...

the_title.gif

T-Mo

Thanks, Joel. I did not realize that the Army changed the MOS designators. I guess that a 11B isn't a 11B anymore. :P Nor the 19 series MOS's doesn't relate back to the Cavalry neither. :D

combatmp29r

Well 11B stayed the same. The officer MOS was 11A so they didn't have to change. I forget what Cavs new designator is. Engineers are in the 23s somewhere now.