rtfbg

D200 Resto ... Florida style!!!!

rtfbg

Well, I kind of came to a halt here for a bit ... the throttle shaft in this carb has a ton of slop in it.  The choke plate has a bent edge.  If it was a different engine, you know, one with DECENT priced carburetors ... I would just replace it.  But ... these K532 guzzlers are apparently made of gold or something!!

Is there any such thing as oversized throttle shafts?  Maybe drill out the housing and use a larger shaft??  Sounds crazy, but $350 for a rebuilt carb???  Yikes!!!  Any suggestions??

psychocontractorguy

I don't know about your particular carb, but for the throttle shaft on my k301 carb, we just manufactured a bushing from some nylon stock. Worked like a charm. The old bushing always turns into a spot of rubbery goo.

The carb I'm speaking of is, of course, for a k301s engine. Carb is a carter.

flyovrcntry

I agree, the bushing is the way to go.You can straighten the plate. It may be necessary to drill the hole to round out for fit.

It will work like a $ 300. dream

rtfbg

Working on a bunch of different projects, but it's coming together.  Before I start putting things together, I needed to rearrange my garage, and get this beast closer to the door!!  I had the old "plane in the basement" thing goin on!!

Getting the engine spiffed up, man, there's lots of fasteners to replace on that thing!!

post-12710-0-48849300-1415583613_thumb.j

I found a little piece of wire on a tooth of the governor drive gear ... not sure if it's supposed to be there or not!!  Any ideas???

post-12710-0-41008300-1415583635_thumb.j

• Like 1

rtfbg

Hey sports fans ... thought you might like a sexy photo ... how 'bout a little butt shot!!  LOL

post-12710-0-82116300-1415663453_thumb.j

• Like 4

Geno

You do some very nice work, looks great!   :handgestures-thumbsup:  

• Like 1

Ken B

Now I know what Florida style is and I like it! You do excellent work.. Back in the day a friend of mine had a gorgeous and wicked fast 71 Camaro SS that was painted Candy Apple. 

rtfbg

VETERANS ......

THANK YOU for your Service!!

:) 

• Like 1

rtfbg

Well, I finally got my stretched running boards on today, tired of drillin holes!!  LOL

post-12710-0-21524300-1416798837_thumb.j

• Like 1

rtfbg

Sorry for the crappy pic, guess I was shaken a bit??  LOL

You know, there are a TON of little things that really slow deals like this down.;  For example, the rectifyer.  Very  difficult to bolt on, due to the recess of the bolt holes in the sides, but I got it done, mainly because the engine was nor installed at that point.  So, plop the engine on, bolt it down, and THEN think about how I'm gonna put the little connectors on the rectifyer!!   Ended up making a couple little jumper wires, and after about an hour of talkin to it, I got them on.  So much for little details!!  Found the thrust bearings for the front axles at McMaster Carr, great catalog for all things tiny!!!

post-12710-0-16500600-1416876492_thumb.j

• Like 1

rtfbg

Well, I got a bit ahead of myself again, but I just had to see SOMETHING that resembled a tractor!!

post-12710-0-01364500-1417300198_thumb.j

• Like 3

"D"- Man

And I thought I was doing a modification on my 18, WOW I might as well quit compared to yours, Bob.  That is really looking sweet.  If I may ask, did you intentionally reverse mount the front axle?  I had thought about doing this on mine but I never tried it to see if it would work. Great progress and thanks for the pictures, Mark.

P.S. Where did you get the idea to use a Harley Davidson chrome dual coil cover from? 

Edited by TWIN54

rtfbg

The jury is still out on the axle flop, I like the looks but the tie rod end clearance appears to be an issue.  I'm gonna play with it a bit before I give up and do it right!!  lol

The coil cover is from a walk-thru of the local Harley shop.  They have chrome dog turds there!!  Got ma killer horn too, it's mounted on the other side!!

• Like 1

Trouty56

They have chrome dog turds there!! 

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

rtfbg

Hey gang .... need some direction from yunnzz experts!!!

Having trouble getting the throttle / governor linkage correct.  Seems the spring is in the correct holes, but sure doesn't look like the pic in the Kohler manual.  NO I'm NOT sure if this is the correct spring!!!  The throttle didn't work, the engine started and ran at one speed, about 3/4 throttle seemed like, so I knew there was some work there.

Any chance one of you guys with a variable speed gov can let me know what this SHOULD look like!!!

post-12710-0-61892300-1417484684_thumb.j

rtfbg

Oh, Mark ... my welder said NO to bending the spindle tie rod brackets so I had to put the axle the way it was supposed to be.  I believed he called me an ASS!!  He has NO imagination!!!  LOL

• Like 1

"D"- Man

I certainly am no expert, however; for whatever it may be worth, I will point out my observations.  1.) Yes, the spring is in the correct holes.  The 4th hole down from the top of the arm & the "2nd" hole down from the top of the speed bracket.   2.) You have the correct 7 coil spring.  3.) Your ball joint from the barrel that screws to the throttle rod should be secured into the next hole down on the speed control bracket.  Not sure if this would have much, if any, effect on correcting the 3/4 only throttle problem, {if your top hole mounting set-up currently permits full swing  on the speed control bracket.}  And finally,  since you have removed the variable speed governor from the engine, I must ask did you retime it?

P.S. Thanks for the tip on the axle flop!

• Like 1

rtfbg

Mark ... thanks for the critique ... yes, I timed the gov, but have not installed the Point Saver module yet, so the point timing has not been done yet.

I observed this issue, lets say there is 2 inches of throttle throw at the dash control.  When I pushed it forward, the carb throttle plate was at full open in less than 3/4 of an inch.  This made no sense to me, right or wrong.  I raised the throttle control rod link spud to the top hole just to see if it gave the throttle plate more of a "slow" action.  It seemed to help a bit, with it in the top hole, it doesn't get full open throttle til about half way up the dash control.

I see a stop screw on the speed control arm, but there is nothing I can do to get that screw anywhere near the housing where it looks like it would hit.

rtfbg

Ok, so it's like this.  If I keep puttin pics on here, when it's finally done, there will not be any WOW factor!!!

So ... no more pics!!!

I will give you some hints .... this was exhaust week, 100 feet of header wrap, black pipe fittings, adapters, flex pipe, fancy tips, clamps and custom brackets!!

Making progress on the choke hookup, needed custom bracket, and still wrestlin' with the throttle linkage, but it's lookin good so far.

Stay tuned!!    :)

post-12710-0-94297500-1417838189_thumb.j

These white pelicans summer in Canada, and come here for the winter.  Sure doesn't look like Christmas!!  LOL

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Certainly looks better than the white stuff I saw flying here tonight on O/T.  snowplow.gif 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Gulftane,,,,holy smokes amos n andy. Wow wow wow. When i saw that sexy butt shot i was ready to jamb a pile of $ingles in there. Lol

I dont know how i missed this makeover? No,,,yes i do. Old age. Anyway i want to say what a FANTASTIC job and story. Re crystal river, when me and the mrs lived in Florida we spent many times diving that way with those cute little manates. Watch out for them other creatures. Super job and will be fully tuned in to this exciting build.

thank you for posting, its great.

Glenn

• Like 2

duke

Looking forwards to more pictures! Love the nice slow pace, gives ya time to relax and really enjoy the build! Great work, really should be very nice to sit with your Lovely Red Head and drive around together!

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Looking forwards to more pictures! Love the nice slow pace, gives ya time to relax and really enjoy the build! Great work, really should be very nice to sit with your Lovely Red Head and drive around together!

kinda like cruising in a stretch limo when its done. Very classy.

Glenn

bobert94

Here's another observation just went and looked at the setup on my 18 auto as previously mentioned everything looks correct with the exception of the control rod spud which  you had moved. I did notice that my throttle plates are half open even when throttle lever is at idle. the governor should push butterly closed  with engine running,the stop screw on the speed control arm should hit when the the throttle is in the wide open pos its a high speed stop.hope that helps . Great looking job!!

rtfbg

Gang ... sorry for the lack of progress here, but my Dad had an artificial heart valve installed and had some complications with it.  We have been at the hosp everyday for well over a week now, with probably another 2 weeks to go.  Honestly, I doubt I will even get to mess with this thing til after Christmas.

HOWEVER .... in the hours of sitting and waiting, I have been thinking of all sorts of cool stuff to do to it!   LOL