rtfbg

D200 Resto ... Florida style!!!!

Racinbob

That's really looking great! This is a fun build to follow. This has got to be great therapy for you. I just noticed something. Starting with post #35 there were 9 straight posts from Florida. Lookout mid-westerners, the plywood and blue tarp state is starting to dominate this great forum! :teasing-whipyellow:

rtfbg

I know I'm not keeping up to the normal restoration pace I've seen here, but I'm trying.

I was working on the steering, but I had a set back.  My welder buddy, who is also a triple bypass vet, is in the hospital with some internal problems.  So.. find something else to do for a few days.  I decided to put one side on.  Well, that turned into a project, as I mounted the pump wrong.  I put it on top of the frame instead of under it.  So unbolt all that, move it, now it's time to drill and mount the side. Thats done, so I think I'll take tomorrow off!!  lol

post-12710-0-17091500-1405219323_thumb.j

• Like 1

rtfbg

Hey ... D guys ... I need some help.  My K532 Kohler has ZERO stickers on it.  Question 1. .... Is there any other markings anywhere on the engine that will help ID it???

Second, does anyone else have a 1978 vintage K532 that can give me their ID numbers so I can order parts???   I will take a chance that they would be the same.

post-12710-0-66266400-1405271142_thumb.j

Edited by gulftane

gwest_ca

If you are sure it's a K532 here you go

Garry

rtfbg

THANKS GARRY!!!

Wheel-N-It

This IS a fun thread to follow! I'm enjoying seeing some Wheel Horse activity and excitement in the State of Florida. Keep up the good work but don't overdo it in this heat. Its hot as heck here and I know its even more so where you live.

rtfbg

Well, got the steering box rebuilt, and new shaft put together.  Thanks again to BILL PACE for sending me a new spline end for my steering shaft.  The custom wheel is a little flatter than the stock wheel, so I needed to extend the shaft a couple inches.  Went with a Deere 400 column, shortened it 4 inches, and welded up the new shaft.  Will get my floor jack back from my Dad's place to finish the front axle, it's just too heavy to hold and bolt in by myself!!

post-12710-0-71580400-1405458668_thumb.j

rtfbg

Sorry for the ;lack of progress on this, but not been feeling very good lately.  If the weekend goes well, I will try to shoot some clear on Monday, and get back to work on it.  Stay tuned!!

• Like 1

Martin

thats ok, we all need some down time whether we like it or not! just makes the drive to finish them all the more intense when you can't get to them for a period of time. you are doing a nice job on that d series by the way.....

rtfbg

Well, I got the 2K Clear sprayed, now take a few days off for it to dry, sand and buff, then I can actually start puttin this pile of crap together!!!

JC 1965

Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming. Can't wait to see more.     :thumbs2:

rtfbg

Well, I'm trying to make some progress on this deal ... but I have run into a snag.  There is a "BRACE" that goes somewhere on the control side of the pump.  My photos, and the parts diagram don't give me any hints, and I can't remember where it goes!!!   HELP!!!  LOL  ( the brace is about 5 in long and an inch wide, a 3/8 hole in each end.)

post-12710-0-90392800-1408131109_thumb.j

19richie66

Not sure if mine would be the same but ill look when i get home

rtfbg

Here's the brace, #29 .... no clue!!!  LOL

post-12710-0-58015100-1408132740_thumb.j

19richie66

Apparently mine is different. Mine is a 74 d160 single so maybe they changed it later? Sorry i cant help.

rtfbg

Richie ... thanks for checking!!  I should have taken more pics ... I was anxious to get started, and figured I would remember how things went!!  RIGHT!!   LOL

rtfbg

FANTASTIC!!!!  Since I don't have the dash ready to install yet, its no wonder I couldn't figure it out!!  LOL   Thanks a bunch!!!

rtfbg

I decided to work until it hit 100 deg in the garage today ... wow, a whole hour!!  Oh well!!  I got a nice 10" electric fan mounted to keep the rear cool, or at least cooler.  The extra friction of the soft lines have me nervous, so I figured a little cooling would help.

post-12710-0-69144600-1408393818_thumb.j

Edited by gulftane
  • Like 1

rtfbg

I know it's way ahead of time, but I got the fuel tank polished, and just had to sit it in place to see what it looks like!!  Yippee!!  Now, I have to store it for a few months without scratching it!!!

post-12710-0-09396900-1408653200_thumb.j

• Like 2

Racinbob

That looks great!! I know exactly what you mean about getting ahead of yourself. I do that a lot too cuz it's just fun.

JackC

Hydraulic oil versus engine oil, which is better in the D Series tractor hydraulic system?  Found this answer by someone in a thread on the topic of one versus the other.  Apparently engine oil is better for an application where concern about high heat is an issue.

"Both hydraulic and engine oils are made from base oils with additives mixed in. The additives used change the characteristics of the oils so that they function differently. 
Generally, hydraulic oils are expected to have very low compressibility and very predictable friction and viscosity stability under pressure. 
Engine oils are intended to have high resistance to heat (degradation including chemical and viscosity due to heat) resistence to burning and resistance to absorption of fuels and chemical compounds produced during combustion. Both classes of oils are likely to have additives intended to provide detergency and to reduce foaming. Base oils are most commonly petroleum oil bases due to cost, but other bases oil can be used including mineral oils, plant oils, and oils from animal sources."

rtfbg

Sorry for the lack of progress here.  It's so friggen hot in my garage I just can't handle being in there more than an hour or so at a time.  Bur, I think that's a good thing.  I have decided to have the pump rebuilt ... and since that's the heart of the machine, my lack of progress will make it easier to start over.  So ... stay tuned, but I will probably not have much to report until I get it back from  the hydro shop.

"D"- Man

Here's the brace, #29 .... no clue!!!  LOL

Bob, I have a D-180 so I took some pics of what looks to be an identical or very similar part to the one you have indicated in the diagram. The brace is red in my pics, not the one that appears whitish. Hope this helps, Mark.

post-3038-0-91034600-1411006911_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-45171000-1411006988_thumb.jp

rtfbg

Thanks Mark ... that's a great help!!  Now, where did I put the dang thing??  LOL