rtfbg

D200 Resto ... Florida style!!!!

wheeledhorseman

Great thread and lovin' those period photos. :thumbs:

Not sure that anyone has ever come up with an answer as to why WH initially specified ATF then moved to specifying motor oil on later tractors with Sundstrand hydrostatic transmissions. Both appear on a list of several suitable fluids provided by Sundstrand though they referred users to the tractor manufacturer's recommendation. The only difference I've noticed was on a C-120 that a PO had changed to ATF when Oil was specified for that model year was that it was a bit quieter when I changed it back to oil.

It could be a typo in your post but the manual actually refers to using SAE 10W-30 or SAE 10W-40 engine oil not SAE 30 in the hydro.

Andy

JamesBe1

That's a tough call.  Oil is cheaper and easier to come by.  If you have an engine, you probably keep a stock of motor oil. 

But, ATF edges out motor oil in some areas.  If you are willing to pay a little extra, and can keep some on the shelf, it's probably the better bet.

Heck, instead of motor oil or ATF, how about considering power steering fluid or straight hydraulic fluid?

rtfbg

Cost is really not an issue, if I had a fleet of 30 units it may be, but for a couple gallons, I'm thinking I would rather have the foaming control of the hydraulic oil.  I wonder if WH suggested motor oil for just that reason, ease of maintenance, and cost.???

rtfbg

RonnieC

Nice rebuild  , getting a few tips to do mine from your work .

Thanks Ronnie

rtfbg

YIPPEE ... frame pieces are back from the welder!!  Hopefully the thundies will let up tomorrow, and I can finish grinding and start slingin' some mud!!!

post-12710-0-74900500-1402435678_thumb.j

post-12710-0-92676600-1402435699_thumb.j

rtfbg

So I'm using some Rustoleum paint on my beast, and the can reads that "for glossier finish, recoat with Rustoleum Clear after 10 minutes."  Ok, so I did.  It checked up like I was spraying paint remover on it!!  So I called the product support number on their website.  After sleeping thru 20+ minutes of music, "Todd" tells me that the recoat time for my paint is a minimum of 72 hours.  I said HMMM, and read him the can.  Silence!!  Then he asked me for the product number again.  Seems Rustoleum made a booboo!!!  He said that he is going to have the support team get the cans re-worded, and the website updated with the correct info.  AND ...(will let you know) he is refunding my money for 4 cans of product.

SO .... before you spray clear on Rustoleum paint .... wait 3 days+ !!!!!   NOT 10 minutes!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19richie66

Thats going to be neat. Clean job on the stretch.I was looking at mine trying to figure out what you are doing for seats. Are you putting another seat in front of the one over the fenders? So she can give you a neck rub while you drive?

Edited by 19richie66

Ken B

Nice job you are doing and nice job on fixin Rustoleaums mess! It has always been a crap shoot on using their clear coat... Now lets see if the guy keeps his word and actually fixes the wording on the cans.

I also really enjoyed the vintage pictures you posted. Mind if I ask whatever happened to Dad's D?

rtfbg

Dad's D??  Well, he got tired of replacing the engine coupler, and it was getting a little tired anyway, so he went to Jack's Wheel Horse in Sarver PA (around 1995 or so) to trade it in on a new horse.  He stood at the counter for what he said was 20 minutes, probably more like 10, with the guys just sitting there talking about farming.  The totally ignored him.  So, he walked out, and drove to Freeport Lawn & Garden about 5 miles up the road, and bought the biggest Gravely tractor they sold.  They delivered it and took the old D in on trade.  So it probably lives some where in the Freeport PA area.  Easy to spot, with the big stallion hood orny!!

rtfbg

Well, so far so good with the mud, now ready to sand sand sand!!!  Someone asked about seats??  Heck, I have no idea, figured I would sweat that when I got up to that point!!  lol

post-12710-0-53782300-1402706090_thumb.j

Alan_Heist

Hey!  Great to see more FL guys.  I have a Charger 12 Automatic that was my dad's and I'm going to do a resto on it when I get some time and finish a couple other projects that are already in the works.

I agree on the fluid question.  I would not use the SAE 30, either the ATF or the Hydraulic oil.  I run ATF in my Charger, it's a Sundstrand as well.

I'm in the center of the state, just south of Leesburg.

19richie66

I see a Florida wheelhorse meet coming...... All five of us, lol

• Like 2

Racinbob

Yea!!! Let's do it!! I'll bring the beer :orcs-cheers: Maybe we can get something going and show the folks down here that you just can't buy a real tractor at a big box store. Do you suppose we could get a moderator from across the pond to attend?

• Like 1

Racinbob

By the way gulftane, your work is looking great. Can't wait to see it done. We could have it as the featured tractor at the first annual Florida :wh: meet and greet.

• Like 1

rtfbg

We should do an activity in FEB., so we can post pics of our "Horses, and palm trees, and tick off all the snow plow artists!!  lol

• Like 2

Racinbob

Evil, very evil. I like the way you think! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

rtfbg

Makin' slow progress on the chassis parts, the bottom frame section is done, except for the clear.  Now waiting 3 days for these pieces to dry so I can clear everything at once.  When thats done, I can actually start putting the business end together!!  lol

post-12710-0-34100800-1403658312_thumb.j

• Like 1

glenn27

Like what you are doing--and the explanations--following along here--

Thanks--

glenn

rtfbg

Well, I got the rear axle mounted, and the pump hanging by the rear mount ... so that means it's time for a ride to my local NAPA dealer for some hydraulic hose.  Ahh, easy peasy, right?  Ahh NO .. I don't have a fork lift!!  Gettin' this thing in the back of my truck was a real chore, but it made it in there, kind of!!  Glad it's only a few blocks!!  Mr. Bill got the hoses custom cut and ready to install. Too hot to do any more today, so tomorrow we fill as much of this thing as I can with hydraulic fluid.  I figure it will be easier now, as I can get to all the lines. I know some of you are wondering why this is so difficult, but with the condition of my heart and back, this is nothing short of amazing to me.  Let's just not be mentioning this to my doctors, I'm tired of the lectures!! lol

Oh, sorry about the foggy photo, I got primer over spray on my phone camera lens, and keep forgetting to clean it off!!

post-12710-0-62876800-1404830160_thumb.j

• Like 1

Desko

Looks great so far :). And what's the problem with having SAE 30 in the transmission my dads D160 has used it for 25 years when he bought it and restored it.

rtfbg

Not really a problem.  Just questioning the performance.  Every other user of these Sundstrand pumps recommends hydraulic fluid.  Was just wondering why WH chose engine oil.

Thanks for the flowers! 

psychocontractorguy

Looking great, gulftane. I would love to have a D-series (with a loader!) in my collection. 

I found out the recoat issue with Rust-O paint the hard way, too. I restored a 312-8 over the winter, and my barn is only semi-heated. That three-day cure time turns into about 3 weeks when you can't keep the ambient temperature above 60 degrees 24/7. I recoated the hood after about 2 weeks, and the whole thing bubbled like some kind of nightmare.

Since then, I've started spraying all the major body components with a gravity-feed spray gun instead of a rattle can. If I want the "open" time to be shorter, I just slightly increase the amount of acetone (drying agent) used as a thinner. It also makes a tougher finish.

DotheDoo

" I know some of you are wondering why this is so difficult, but with the condition of my heart and back, this is nothing short of amazing to me.  Let's just not be mentioning this to my doctors, I'm tired of the lectures!! lol"

KIdding? This is the best therapy for the heart & mind. Having a goal to work on something thru what your fighting with is great. To me, this is resting! If you sat around and did nothing, you'd waste away. Congrats, this resto is looking excellent!

Rob

rtfbg

Thanks guys ... psyco ... I sure wish I had the space, I do have a nice compressor and a gun,  but I have zero space to work.  Like working in a phone booth!!  

Rob .. I hear ya ... if I take it easy it's ok, but I keep the nitro patches in my wallet, and pills around my neck, so I'm ready if it starts getting "exciting"!!

Anyway, got the hoses installed, and started with the steering.  Trying to do all I can before putting the side panels on.  My fat hands don't fit in tight spaces!!!

post-12710-0-61880000-1404930912_thumb.j

• Like 1