Curmudgeon

Selling stuff

bowtieguy

Well, I have followed this topic too long ..heck yes I dicker and expect it ...if you don't ask you won't get anywhere..grocery store, use "matching price" concept...gas pump, use free car wash for a fill up concept...all the box stores offer discounts but you have to ASK...almost any retail business will give you a "senior discount" or a vet discount.....and I not too proud to take it...it ususally offsets the amount of the sales tax!

Ever try the credit card fee thingy?...retails pays for those transactions and many will discount your purchase if you pay in CASH....try it!

My favorite line is from the movie "Pretty Girl"...after she works out a deal to stay longer she says "I would have taken LESS"...he replies "I would have paid MORE".....so now you know what to expect when you come look at my 520H w/60" deck and the price is 2,500 bucks!.....just call me dicker John!

• Like 3

Curmudgeon

Call me Honest Dale

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Well, I have followed this topic too long ..heck yes I dicker and expect it ...if you don't ask you won't get anywhere..grocery store, use "matching price" concept...gas pump, use free car wash for a fill up concept...all the box stores offer discounts but you have to ASK...almost any retail business will give you a "senior discount" or a vet discount.....and I not too proud to take it...it ususally offsets the amount of the sales tax!

Ever try the credit card fee thingy?...retails pays for those transactions and many will discount your purchase if you pay in CASH....try it!

My favorite line is from the movie "Pretty Girl"...after she works out a deal to stay longer she says "I would have taken LESS"...he replies "I would have paid MORE".....so now you know what to expect when you come look at my 520H w/60" deck and the price is 2,500 bucks!.....just call me dicker John!

Exactly. If you don't want to haggle, go to carmax and pay the premium. I am looking for a good deal! :handgestures-thumbupright:

6wheeler

Call me Honest Dale

Dale, sorry you are so disappointed. I guess I am a "wheeler dealer" when it comes to buy stuff.I am not good at selling things though (as my wife will attest to). That may be the reason my sheds are overflowing. The one thing I am not? A low baller. If I am going to buy something? I at least have an idea of what its worth "realistically". Also, what I am "realistically" going to pay for an it. On a side note? I do tend to only buy things I can use. I am not now nor will I ever be accused of being a collector. I could be called an inventory-builder. Because, I just may need that someday. Or, I can make something out of that. I don't part stuff out. I am not a parts salesman, I will leave that tedious duty to the professionals. Don't get me wrong though. The guys on here that do that? Are, in my opinion invaluable. Dale, if I was at your place to get something? I may try to bargain, trade or barter something for what you have. I certainly won't tell you its junk and low ball it. If it needs too much work? I will be honest and tell you the truth. Or, at least, what I will pay for it, taking into consideration the parts and time involved. Then it is up to you if you are willing to take the offer. I don't like to leave a deal on bad terms. More than likely though? I will probably leave with more than I came for. Something inevitably always catches my eye. Which brings me back to my shed problem. I hope you don't give up. There are honest competent people out here. Also, a whole bunch of A-Holes. But, that is wwhat makes the world go around. Good Luck to ya. Pat

Curmudgeon

It's those whole bunch of a-holes that I'm tired of.   I simply stated, or thought I did, I was tired of them, tired of their games and was done.    If you enjoy it, enjoy on.  Haggle away.  Don't call me names when I don't want to play your game.  There are more peaceful sources of pleasure without the a-holes.  I'm moving on.

When I state my selling  terms up front, that I don't want a bunch of crap to wade through, I expect the buyers to be able to respect that, and not bother me.  WHY insist?  WHY call me names when I stick to my original, stated up front, terms?  

It's called respect.

I feel the only feathers rustled by my desire of honest selling and buying.....................

Edited by Curmudgeon

6wheeler

I hear ya. You know? Maybe that is why I don't get rid of nothing. Unless, I give it to someone that may need it more than me. No CR, or Ebay. For me. If I do want to sell something? I take it to an auction and take my chances. I don't have to deal with nothing but a check from the auction company and of course, the fees. But hey, no one shows up at my house.

baerpath

Dale I feel your pain, I'm at the point of selling off but don't care to deal with "experts".  I've played around with WH's for almost 24yrs and I'm no expert but I can tell a line of BS when I here it.  I'd like to sell off 30 or so but just don't care to do the c list or ebay So they sit in the barn.  It used to be fun now buying and selling is a pain in the arse.

• Like 1

Curmudgeon

I've been told at other places I'm supposed to "man up" and accept disrespect and rude remarks. If that's the nature of this country, then it has pretty much diminished to chaos.

I've been told I'm not supposed to express an opinion of asking for respect.

Therefore, I'm more set on throwing in the towel, and selling cut up pieces at the scrap yard.

I have no intention of haggling with someone with 4 times my income so they can profit off me. Looking at what most of you drive and your garages, I know it's not from my $1500 a month income.

I can't find a leave button, so if the moderators want to remove me, there are plenty of disrespectful people who will be happy to see me go.

squonk

Another one of my favorites:

Caller says they will be at your house to buy something in 20 minutes. 2 hrs. Later they still haven't shown up!

sorekiwi

I look at the price, and if I think its fair then thats what I'll pay.  If I want the item, but think the price is a little high, then I'll try to haggle.

I bought a set of valve seat cutters from Dale many years ago, they were barely used and he wanted half of what he'd payed for them.  I wouldnt even think about haggling on a deal like that.

• Like 5