multihobbyguy

Piston Movement

multihobbyguy

I am working a C-160 that seemed to be down on power and rpms so I decided I would pull the carb and head so that I could clean them up and inspect the engine some. I found a leaking head gasket and a worn throttle shaft and a little carbon build up. The head ended up being warped but I ran it back and forth on a piece of sandpaper on my surface plate and in no time it was back in spec. I checked the bore and there is minimal wear. There is no ridge at the top of the cylinder either. The tractor does not smoke or use oil. When I was cleaning the top of the piston I noticed the piston will move back and forth with in the cylinder with some pressure. My question is this normal? I really don't want to take this thing apart to measure the piston and see if it is within tolerance with the bore. It has been awhile since I have rebuilt a engine so I can not remember if that happened before or not. I figure that it has to have some movement to compensate for expanding when it warms up. Long story short is this normal? Thank you, Chris.

• Like 1

wp205a

Yes, I think your problem is solved.

SousaKerry

Some slop is normal IIRC about .010.  If it ain't burning oil then I would say leave it alone.

multihobbyguy

Thank you! That is great to hear. I will probably put it back together by this weekend since I don't have to tear it completely down. Now I need to find a short piece of bronze to make my throttle shaft bushing. Thanks again! Chris.

Fordiesel69

It is normal.  It can get quite loose before it starts to cause problems.  The end gaps on the rings are the same way.  On low budget fixes, I have slapped new rings on an old worn out cylinder and have stopped the oil burning.  It will breath a little more life into a worn engine.