Sign in to follow this  
fordsonmajortom

H60 now running well

fordsonmajortom

Been having a lot of trouble with the H60 in my Lawnranger.It wouldn't run at all when it got hot. Checked the valve clearance, changed the carb as someone in the past had welded one of the mounting lugs back on. No better so now checked the timing. the point gap was ok, so do the timing by the book but used a vernier caliper instead of a dial indicator with the head off. There were some timing marks on the points carrier to backplate which it was set up to.To get the timing right I had to retard to carrier about a quarter of an inch nearly to the end of its travel. Back together fired first pull ran second pull tuned carb engine now runs great , no hesitation on pickup and doesn't stop. It must have been like it for a long time because somebody had had insulated the fuel tank with fibreglass insulation to try and keep the tank from getting hot thinking that was the problem. :banghead:

Buzz

Glad you got it working again :banghead: It's alway a good feeling.

suburbancowboy

I just picked up a Lawn Ranger with a H60.Runs pretty well.I noticed your user name,Is that Major Tom as in Tommy Simpson who we lost in the '67 Tour de France?

fordsonmajortom

I just picked up a Lawn Ranger with a H60.Runs pretty well.I noticed your user name,Is that Major Tom as in Tommy Simpson who we lost in the '67 Tour de France?

My user name is fordsonmajor as we have a fordsonmajor tractor. majortom is from the David Bowie song Space Odyssey.