bmsgaffer

"Big Box" Deere Help - LA105

bmsgaffer

A friend of my wife's was given a John Deere LA105 'big box' tractor. Apparently it was running fine last season right up until the end of the season when it would start to run a little rough.

This year he did a full tune up, new oil, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter and it was still running "weakly" as he put it. It would nearly stall going up a hill. He tried cleaning the carb float bowl  and ruined the gasket and bolt in the process. Needless to say it would not start.

After a few suggestions on my part he bought a new carb, drained all old fuel and put new in, new spark plug, new fuel pump, new fuel filter (again) and he put a new solenoid in (anti-dieseling solenoid that shuts off fuel).

Now it will start and run for 10 seconds and stalls.

Does anyone have any experience on these? I have not seen the tractor yet, but may go over some night next week to help. I am just looking to get a few more suggestions of things to look at or replace to help them get this thing running again.

If none of that works, I will push them to sell it and buy some real (red) iron. :)

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Brandon

tunahead72

Just noticed, no replies to this thread.  Any updates on this tractor?

Forest Road

Is the fuel tank vent somehow clogged

• Like 1

JamesBe1

Sounds like a fuel issue.  Either the vent (like Forest Road said), or something else is prevening gas from getting to the carb.

stevebo

I am with Forest Road on this. Tell him to try and run it without the fuel cap on. My thought is the cap went bad...