cmckella

Suburban 400- 5010 Transmission exploded

cmckella

Ive been chatting Steve from the forum over skype the last little bit, along with a few other guys briefly. I want to thank everyone so far for their help. I was having some issues with my 5010 transmission (had no forward drive) only reverse worked. So I was chatting to Steve and he explained to me what to look for. Anyways I got the trans apart and took a lot of pictures. I will post the worst ones below in the thread. I will be looking for parts or a complete transmission judging by the amount of damage in the transmission

Pics below

IMG_1117_zps66877c9b.jpg
Right side of the transmission case. Axle stub/housing snapped off the case casuing the axle to float around

IMG_1113_zps627dfb43.jpg
Left side of the case- brake band snapped off

IMG_1119_zps6dfcbc4c.jpg
Right side of the case- internals (bearing and race destroyed)

IMG_1116_zps9a8f8701.jpg
Left side of the case. One bearing has nothing left in it

IMG_1122_zpsde8dc4a2.jpg

IMG_1123_zps88fe0b8c.jpg
One of the gears (im guessing maybe the input gear?)

IMG_1124_zpsa6d386b8.jpg
Differential- Had a bunch of teeth laying the the bottom of the transmisson housing

IMG_1125_zpsf79f9335.jpg

IMG_1128_zps0d77135e.jpg
Pinions- not looking good on either side

IMG_1126_zps369d6b57.jpg

IMG_1132_zps947015a7.jpg
Bit of wear on this gear too

IMG_1135_zps544fc38c.jpg

IMG_1140_zps6e0c1dd0.jpg

IMG_1134_zps95d426d7.jpg

IMG_1142_zpsf6f61d46.jpg

IMG_1144_zps30d4eeea.jpg
Inside of the case

IMG_1146_zps5bbc584e.jpg

I know thats a lot of pictures, just trying to see if anything is salvagable. I can take more pics if needed too

Edited by cmckella

Racinbob

WOW! Maybe remove the shifter and install a new transmission under it? :violin: Seriously, I'm nearing the completion of fixing up my 5010 and I had some issues but nothing like that. There's many folks her that can help you and Steve is one of the best. He was a great help to me. I'll be watching this thread to see what the prognosis is.

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square Chris...Excellent pictures!!! :bow-blue:   I kind of think Bob hit the nail on the head...you have a lot of paper weights there.  I have not seen one with that much damage...unreal.  We need to find you another trans.  I would bet you can almost poke your finger through the worn out spot in the casting.  Some of those bearings may be OK though.  The ones with 8 like 1/4" balls are your open S8K bearings.  The other ones are closed NICE 412-35 bearings.  The gears on both ends of your cluster gear looked OK.  Yes, that is the input gear as you stated....it has some wear, but may work.  That is about all that is OK.  The roll pins, holding the differential together, look great... :ychain:  Sorry...my bad.  Don't throw anything out.

Tap out those roll pins in the differential...those pinions (or spider gears) are on posts.  Those posts are probably OK.  Tap out the roll pins in the axles (inside the differential)...the axles should pull out of the axle gears...those gears may be OK.  Did one of the axles break?

Fantastic pictures.

Edited by stevasaurus

stevasaurus

Found you a 5010 transmission Chris...from SmokinJoe...:)

2013_0522f0005_zps9696d2a1.jpg

2013_0522f0006_zps10751271.jpg

Racinbob

Cool Steve. I see that you managed to get the hubs off without resorting to the universal fail-proof hub removal tool. :disgust:

post-8408-0-45129100-1400534631_thumb.jp

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I did have to use the puller on the hubs, input puller and the brake drum, but they all came off easy.  What gave me the problem, for a day, was that brake lever system with the small roll pin in it.  This had about 1 qt of water and about 1/2 qt of tan oil, but no lumps.  I drained it good...added about 2 qts of diesel and ran her in all gears for a total of about 1/2 hour.  The seals didn't even leak.  Drained it out and from what I can see...she looks brand new inside.  It is easy to get all the diesel out when you have the trans on a bench.  :)

• Like 1

squonk

Keep the diesel out of the Beard!  :)

stevasaurus

Chris...the trans is getting shipped out tomorrow morning...(Fastenal)  $60 from me to West Seneca, NY...should be there next Tuesday 6/10/14...they will call you when it gets there.  :)  Skype me.