UncleBubs73

Frying my rectifier wiring

UncleBubs73

About  1-1/2 to 2 years ago my battery wasn't charging and discovered the connector for the wires from the stator and the other connector ( I think DC out) were burnt. As is usually the case I was in need of the old gal and so did a shade tree fix by cleaning up and wrapping the connectors with tape. Today was the same scenario with 1 wire burnt off completely. Again put a new connector on end of wire and wrapped with tape for insulation. Is it going to happen again? Be my guess. Battery appeared to be charging  again per the gauge. Is the rectifier bad? How do you check? I don't like electrical opportunities much! This is on my 1973 12 Automatic with a k301s.

gwest_ca

You likely already fixed it by replacing the female connector.

This location has the potential to produce 180-210 watts of heat. (Amps x volts = 15amp x 14 volts = 210 watts) That is a tremedous amount of heat in a small area and you have the results to prove it.

It likely all started as oxidation or corrosion on the terminals which is resistance to current flow causing heat.

The heat causes the terminal to lose it's grip on the male termminal which is more resistance and heat so the problem compounds it's self.

Terminals need to be shiney clean to ensure there is no surface resistance. Then they need to grip each other tightly for good current flow. To preserve this condition an application of dielectric silicone grease to the terminals will keep oxidation at bay.

Under these hot conditions the copper wire is often oxidized also so it needs to be cleaned or cut back and replaced so the wire to terminal connection is as good as new. If tightly crimped on a new terminal it will pass full current as intended. I like to solder the wire /terminal connection which is easy to do with clean metal. This seals the area so oxidation will never be a problem again.

Garry

UncleBubs73

I didn't use the dielectric grease although I have some. Didn't think to try and solder this connection. Both good ideas. Thanks

will do the grease