Desko

Kohler k161 point gap

Desko

Hey all. I have recently got a cub cadet 71 for free I know its not red but it has the k161 and the points need cleaned and adjusted it has been sitting in the weeds for 7 years and is in really rough shape. This Is my first Kohler motor and I have no clue about them. Thanks in advance

Edited by Desko

Jake Kuhn

points are .020 and plug is .025

Desko

Thanks anything else to check on the motor

gregg'shorses

Go to www.kohlerengines.com and download for yourself an owners and service manual.

• Like 1

rick

I am NOT trying to start an argument with this post- Setting the points at.020 will let the engine run, BUT the engine will operate better when the points open at the proper time in the firing cycle. Kohler K engines have a timing mark, an S and a line on the flywheel. When this line is aligned with the timing mark on the bearing plate the crankshaft is in the proper position for the points to open. There is an opening in the  blower cover through which the marks can be aligned. READ the book!

I am not saying the engine won't run with the points set at .020, I am only trying to say that not all engines will run well at .020 point gap. I know from experience it isn't so.

rmaynard

The above method is referred to as "static timing" there is a procedure that has been posted on the internet that explains in detail how to do it. I find that static timing is much better than just setting points to .020.

Here is a link courtesy of Matt Gonitzke:  http://mgonitzke.net16.net/tools/static_timing.pdf

• Like 1

rick

If the timing mark is easily seen, a timing light can be used to set the points with the engine running. You need a self powered timing light or battery to power the light, if the piece of equipment doesn't use one.