Larry

Hydro-gear EZT, 5 piston vs 7 piston pump section

Larry

I'm rebuilding a pair of EZT transmissions on a Toro 50" zero turn I bought on Craigslist for $450.  I have one side opened up and decided to replace the pump because the pistons have a bit more play than I thought was new.  The original pump has 7 pistons, each 13.4 mm dia.  I bought a replacement pump and come to find it has 5 pistons, each 16mm dia.  The motor side also has 5 pistons.  I haven't measured them.  The blocks measure the same diameter and height between old and new.  Does it make any difference to performance to use a 5 piston pump?  Some drawings call out the same part number for both pump and motor. 

I calculated the displacement will be nominally the same with either block.  Is the 5 piston a correct replacement part for the 7, or did I grab an incorrect parts list online?

ZC-DFBB-5W5A-3CPX

bmsgaffer

I don't know that model, but if the displacement is the same, there will not be any difference in performance.

The more pistons the "smoother" the hydraulic fluid flows, but at 5+ I doubt you will notice at full throttle. They probably improved the design with 5 to reduce the number of moving parts to increase reliability and increase the size of the piston for strength and durability.

Just my wild theory guess. :eusa-whistle: