Camdg2010

Got that free toro WH!!!!!

Camdg2010

Hello guys, i was given a wheelhorse 5xi series, the model # tag is faded and all i can make out is the MODEL 785...... its got a kohler 20hp v twin, its a nice tractor but theres one big problem, you know that cast looking pice on the end of the steering shaft that the steering arms connect to??? well mines smashed.... all pieces are there but how big of a pain is it to fix that? is i weldable or if not how expensive are they? oh this also cam with a huge snow blower, a 5 foot deck, a cultivator thing and a tow behind grader thing....

post-12934-0-74677800-1399428493_thumb.j

post-12934-0-24826900-1399428497_thumb.j

• Like 6

posifour11

Wow!

Don't know a thing about the steering but I'll bet its not too bad. Congrats!

Camdg2010

Thanks! i cant seem to find a manual that has that part listed.... does anyone know where i can find a FREE manual online?

posifour11

Did you look in our manual section? If not, you can probably look it up on parts tree or a similar site. They have decent illustrated parts lists.

Camdg2010

ok thanks! im gonna check right now, i need to know how to get that part out and see if it cant be fixed.... if not hopefully its not gonna brake the bank

gwest_ca

Search the manuals here at Red Square using

Any serial number on the data decal?

Post all the numbers off the engine's data decal including the serial number.

Garry

AMC RULES

Wow!     :handgestures-thumbsup:

Smokin' deal there.

Sent you a PM.  

Edited by AMC RULES

Kelly

even if you put $200 in parts you have a $1500+ machine there with the attachments, and in very nice shape that is a $3000 machine

danjmah

Well done and Congrats. It's a great machine.  

wh500special

You probably need part number 94-2142-03, "Shaft Sector".  It's listed at $108.85 from Toro.  Your local dealer can order it from you for that price (or close).  I don't know your financial situation, but spending $110 on a tractor and attachment package like you just got certainly isn't breaking the bank.

Go to Toro.com and find the parts lookup system.  Type in the model number Garry gave you.  Look at the exploded diagram for the lower steering assembly to verify what's broken.

You may also need new tie rods.  I say this because your tractor must have taken a pretty bit hit of some kind to break that piece.  If that blow was delivered through the front axle then the rods can be bent or broken as well.

Before you replace that piece, make sure that the attachment lift has full range of motion under your tractor without running into anything on the steering system.  I think there's lots of clearance under there, but I think another possible explanation for a broken steering sector could be something malfunctioning or wedging in the lift system.  Even at a 700 psi system pressure, with a cylinder the side of the one used in the 5xi it wouldn't take much of a jam to create huge forces under there.  If something got between the lift and the steering sector...pop.

Nice deal.  Free finds of this caliber come along seldom.  Count your blessings and order the part!

Steve

• Like 1

Joefrommi65

Sweet can't beat the price!!!!

dennist

Great tractor and I don't know how you could have gotten it any cheaper....great find.

Camdg2010

ok guys, thanks for all the replys! im going to pull that piece out and take a pic and you guys can tell me what you think! here are the numbers off the side of the motor if anyone can tell me year of tractor and if its gas or diesel, its got a fuel filter on the right side of the motor so im guessing gas but the tank is dry so i dont want to put gas in and find out its diesel. 

engine : Kohler

Model #: CH22S

Spec #:66545

Serial #: 3031204311

Rick_in_CT

Yup, CH22S, gas Kohler.  And no, you can't burn maple syrup in it!  Your tractor is a 522xi.  With the accessories that you have, that was originally a 10K package.  Does the tractor have a working hour meter?  All of the manuals are readily available here or on the Toro.com web site for the tractor and all of the accessories. 

Rick

rexman72

nice tractor

wh500special

Even a better deal.  The 522xi has power steering too.  The part number for the lower steering piece looks to be the same, but verify before you order.

Hour meter will be right by the ignition switch.  I'd bet almost anything that the thing was running good when whatever accident that befell the steering happened.  It was probably the event that took the tractor offline.  My guess is that everything else will be operational when you get to fixing it.

Steve

Camdg2010

yes it has an hour meter. its way up there.... 10,000 some odd hours... but i just started it for my first time and all i can say it.....WOW!! friggen thing runs like a champ! that part thats broken is that grey looking piece under the power steering ram, its bolted from bottom and when you turn the wheel right it moves forward (cuz its broken) not sure if anyone knows the exact name for that piece but i need a new one. havint trouble getting the bolts out tho.....

Edited by Camdg2010

bowtieguy

I thought I have found some "good deals"...but your "FREE" deal will be hard to beat!...and a 60" deck!!!!...I'm jealous!!...don't smile too much on that first ride around the neighborhood!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:  :auto-dirtbike:

gwest_ca

ok guys, thanks for all the replys! im going to pull that piece out and take a pic and you guys can tell me what you think! here are the numbers off the side of the motor if anyone can tell me year of tractor and if its gas or diesel, its got a fuel filter on the right side of the motor so im guessing gas but the tank is dry so i dont want to put gas in and find out its diesel. 

engine : Kohler

Model #: CH22S

Spec #:66545

Serial #: 3031204311

Kohler made the engine in 2000 so the tractor is a 2000 or 2001 model 73561. Hope you can find the serial number on the tractor's data decal because there were 3 serial number breaks in 2000 for some reason.

Garry

Camdg2010

thaks garry! heres some pics of that part that broke, part number is 95-3821 cav. 1

post-12934-0-85472600-1399494829_thumb.j

post-12934-0-12729800-1399494840_thumb.j

post-12934-0-89094400-1399494843_thumb.j

Racinbob

I just did a quick search on Ebay for that PN but there was nothing. I would think there's got to be used ones out there. You're not going to get hurt by putting the money in that to get it right even if you buy a new part. Great find!

Camdg2010

its number 10 in this picture.... cant read this tho 

go on google and go to images and put this in the search bar 94-2142-03 click on the pic as shown above and if someone can read it that would be nice

post-12934-0-63095900-1399496011_thumb.g

gwest_ca

I'm looking at part # 94-7581.

http://www.mowpart.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=94-7581

Any luck finding the 9-digit tractor serial number? I may be looking at the wrong parts list.

Garry

Adding - The two 2000 ipls and the one 2001 ipl all show the same 94-7581 part.