rmaynard

Gone Back To Green

rmaynard

Last summer, my old John Deere 160 engine bit the dust, so I purchased a used Simplicity Broadmoor. Nice tractor, BUT, when I had my Cyclone Rake attached and was cleaning up leaves in the fall, I found that the mower deck would blow leaves out the front, making the dreadful job of leaf cleanup even harder. So, I put a for sale sign on the Broadmoor, set it out by the road, and within 4 hours it was sold and gone.

Now, the task of finding another lawn tractor to use with the Cyclone rake with began. Since all of my Wheel Horses would require the purchase of a side discharge deck, and extensive modification in the hitch department to be able to haul around the Cyclone, I opted to go back to John Deere.

My brother-in-law had recently gotten a JD X300 from an estate, didn't really need it, so he offered it to me at an unbelievable price. It's everything I need. 42" side discharge deck, 17HP twin cylinder OHV engine, hydrostatic transmission, and reasonably low hours.

post-2221-0-09043000-1399303137_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-86238100-1399303141_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-80954200-1399303145_thumb.jp

post-2221-0-01076100-1399303150_thumb.jp

• Like 3

dclarke

Looks like a nice one, Bob. :thumbs:    I had the same problem with my Simplicity Regent when I used it with a lawn vac.

Sparky

I suppose its "cute" Bob.

:ychain:

Whatever works I say, I have a Craftsman in my garage alongside my WH's.

Mike.........

dennist

If the price is right and it serves its purpose....win win.

shallowwatersailor

Sorry to hear about the Broadmoor not working out. The X300 looks good, and sounds like the price was right! Keep it in the sun and it should ripen. :)

John

• Like 2

rmaynard

Looks like a nice one, Bob. :thumbs: I had the same problem with my Simplicity Regent when I used it with a lawn vac.

First thing I did was to take the JD into the woods and tried it in the leaves with the Cyclone. Worked great. Decision was simple after that.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

stevebo

Cute is not what I was thinking... I guess it should be good for at least a few years anyhow... Lol how does it cut?

rmaynard

Brother in law installed new high lift blades, but had the deck out of level. After leveling the deck it cuts very well.

AMC RULES

Consider, if you will...    :greetings-wavingyellow:

some IH red paint on it Bob. 

Ken B

I also have a ton of leaves that fall in my yard. I've tried it all including a Trac Vac behind a John Deere 112. Leaf clean up stinks, it takes up a ton of time and as I get a little older I dislike it even more. Bottom line, if it makes my life easier I don't care if its PINK!

rmaynard

Before the purchase of the Cyclone Rake, my wife used to rake the leaves onto a tarp and drag them to the woods while I was at work. When she had had enough of that, I decided to look into the purchase of a leaf vacuum system. The Cyclone rake was the best option as far as I am concerned. The problem was that my B-100 had a rear discharge deck and no easy way to attach the hitch for the Cyclone, so I went to the local JD dealer who was having a "yard" sale, and bought my first green machine. It was a used STX38 and it worked fine until the transmission went up. At that point, I had inherited my father's 1986 JD 160, and it did great until the engine decided to not start at temps below 60 degrees (leaf season), hence the Broadmoor. But when more leaves blew out the front of the deck then went in the vacuum, I knew it was time to go back to the tried and true John Deere. The X300 has been around for almost a decade, and it is still a current "dealer only" model.

So, for only $850.00, I think I got a deal, and as Ken says, if it was pink, it still does a better job than the Simplicity.

• Like 1

speedyleedy

I don't care what anybody has to say Bob you will look good on that ! :laughing-rofl:

leeave96

Hey - I've got a cheapo MTD Cub Cadet riding mower and it's the ONLY tractor in the fleet that reliably starts every time, never has a flat tire, very comfortable to ride, tight turning radius - LoL!!!!

T-Mo

The X300 series is part of JD's X-series line.  While all John Deeres lawn and garden tractors are made by JD, the X-series is made in Horicon, Wisconsin, where the very first John Deere garden tractor was made back in 1963.  The X300 series is the lawn tractor line and they're made with an heavy duty frame, Kawasaki engines, and are several steps above the JD L-series which is made in JD's Tennessee plant.  I have a 2006 X320 and it's been great.  Probably the best mower I ever had.  The only drawback to the X300 is the Tuff Torq's K46 transmission.  While my X320 has the K58, the X300 has the light duty K46, which aren't serviceable.  I would say that's the only weak point in the X300.

Enjoy your "new" tractor.

rmaynard

...The only drawback to the X300 is the Tuff Torq's K46 transmission.  While my X320 has the K58, the X300 has the light duty K46, which aren't serviceable.  I would say that's the only weak point in the X300.

I have been reading about the K46 and the K66 kit that is available to upgrade. Looks pretty expensive. Hoping that mine will hold up until a K66 comes along cheaply.

leeave96

My Dad has a Husqvarna lawn tractor with the dreaded K46 in it.  The tranny died after only 22 hrs.  It was replaced under warranty and for now no problems.  I've read/heard these trannys don't like hills - which is what my Dad was mowing.  Since the tranny was replaced, they have downsized to a flat yard and no problems.

My feeling is - if I were buying new, I'd avoid the K46 (maybe even used), but they can't all be bad - else Deere and Cub Cadet wouldn't be using them.

I'd say you are probably A-OK with this tractor.  But you might think at some point about pulling the tranny and replacing the fluid with synthetic - I think that's what some are doing.

rmaynard

Thanks for that info. Not doing any hills, but I am pulling the Cyclone Rake :scared-notify: . I guess time will tell.

rmaynard

Just a follow-up on the green machine. I haven't been losing sleep over this K46 transmission thing, but I do get shivers when I press the foot pedal and the transmission groans at me. I found a bulletin from Tuff Torq explaining how to drain and replace the oil in these transmission.

cc K46 K57 T40 MODELS WITH INTERNAL RESERVOIR CHECKING & ADDING OIL.pdf

So today's adventure was to remove the tranny, drain the fluid, and replace it with some fully synthetic 5W50 oil.

Job is complete and the tractor still runs. The operation of the hydro still seem about the same, but the groan has been reduced to a mild whimper.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

May the green gods be with you Bobert. 

:happy-jumpeveryone:

CasualObserver

Bob I rebuilt one of those K46 transmissions on a tired 10 year old Deere. Tractor had 387 hours on the meter.  If you're going to the trouble of taking out the trans to remove and replace the oil, you may want to consider opening it up and cleaning the magnets too, although it may not be worth the trouble of accidentally dislodging some other debris into the oil. (and besides... it sounds like you're already done and the trans is back in the tractor)  In the absence of a replaceable filter, there are two magnets inside that collect all the metal shavings.  Both of the ones in mine were fuzzy with shavings.  It's been a while, so I don't remember exactly where they were, but there are some good rebuild guides if you search online.  And parts are readily available from Tuff Torq if you have a need to rebuild it for considerably cheaper than a new trans. I replaced both piston assemblies and a few other parts... I think the rebuild cost me about $180 or so if I remember right. 

Zeek

Brother in law installed new high lift blades, but had the deck out of level. After leveling the deck it cuts very well.

I put those high lift blades on my Ariens and they a BIG difference.

Edited by Zeek

rmaynard

...And parts are readily available from Tuff Torq if you have a need to rebuild it for considerably cheaper than a new trans. I replaced both piston assemblies and a few other parts... I think the rebuild cost me about $180 or so if I remember right. 

The magnet that sits under the fill cap was a little fuzzy, so I can imagine what the bottom magnets look like.

I've done a little research myself and found that Tuff Torq is a very good company to deal with. They are reasonable on their parts, and actually have technicians that will talk to you and help you.

I found a John Deere service manual for the X300 series, and it has a section on dissassembly of the transmission. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. All indications are that this transmission may have been replaced fairly recently. For being a 2006, the paper model number tags are surprisingly clean and not worn.

rmaynard

Well, after two weekends of pulling the Cyclone Rake around, I am convinced that IF it makes it through leaf season, the transmission is coming out again. This time for a rebuild. I am getting a lot of groaning, whining, and lack of power and speed. No, not me, the X300. So, I just ordered a new pump, motor, and filter, and before I put Johnny away for the winter, the transmission is going to be rebuilt.

Parts were only about $160.00, which when added to the cost of the tractor is still a good deal.

• Like 3

Geno

I am getting a lot of groaning, whining, and lack of power and speed. No, not me,

:laughing-rolling:   :laughing-rolling: