bo dawg

PTO interlock switch

bo dawg

What is the easiest way to check if the switch is bad? I went through the wiring last year and repaired what was bad or rigged. Everything worked great last year, but today I hooked the deck up to it to mow and now motor shuts off when engaging the pto. I pretty sure its the switch since all was good till now. Thinking bout by-passing it.

Thanks

Bodawg

gwest_ca

Sounds like the pto switch is working since it shuts the engine off when applied. The problem is likely with the seat switch which should power the ignition with the pto on if battery ignition or isolate the ignition if it is magneto ignition.

Garry

• Like 1

WH nut

Sounds like your seat switch. How many wires are on it

bo dawg

2 to the seat switch but 4 or 5 to the pto.

That makes sinse, I did change the seat plate and seat from my other tractor. I guess its not pushing in the button on the switch.

Edited by bo dawg

jay1

I just ran a bypass wire and took the seat switch out of the circuit, when I purchase on non-BMW seat that does not accept that switch

Cocky_Rocky

I just ran a bypass wire and took the seat switch out of the circuit, when I purchase on non-BMW seat that does not accept that switch

I'm having a similar problem that I suspect the seat switch. I have no continuity through it in "run" condition, voltage to the connector is good, and the tractor just plain won't start. No cranking. How do I bypass the switch for testing purposes so I can eliminate or confirm the seat switch is or isn't the problem?

WH nut

The seat switch will not keep it from cranking Cocky, its only in play when the PTO is engaged. To bypass just jumper the 2 leads.

FOR TEST ONLY

Cocky_Rocky

The seat switch will not keep it from cranking Cocky, its only in play when the PTO is engaged. To bypass just jumper the 2 leads.

FOR TEST ONLY

Well, we are likely talking about different model tractors here, possibly from different eras, but in my 17 years experience owning a 267H weight has to be applied to the seat switch to start the tractor, as well as brake applied. I would never consider running the machine without the seat safety switch, I just need to identify or eliminate it as the problem.

So I can just disconnect the connector and shove a piece of wire in one side of the open terminal and right back into the other side?

jay1

Right or wrong, I have been running my B80 for over 20 years with the seat switch disconnected.  If I remember correctly, the engine would turn off anytime one got off the tractor, regardless of PTO arm position.

Never had a problem or a safety issue as far as I am concerned.  The only reason I disconnected to seat switch is that I put on a much better seat/w arms that does not take a switch.  Yes, I know I could have rigged-up an external switch--but it was a pain everytime  I need to stop to remove something from the lawn.

WH nut

You may be right on the 267h, you did not mention that in your question. But if it is a 2 wire switch it just needs to pass through so a jumper would work