HorseFixer

Calling All 4 Lever Steer & Senior Owners

HorseFixer

Hi guys, From reading the Book SFTHM I know the tranny on a Senior is A Model A and the Clutch is a Rockford. What kind of rear end do they have and what kind of gear reduction boxes behind the Brake Drums do they use?  I need gaskets and seals so I am trying to determine what they used?  :dunno:  The stamping 3203 is on the gear reduction.

Thanks ~Duke :wh:

DSCN6569.jpg

DSCN6574.jpg

DSCN6573.jpg

DSCN6571.jpg

DSCN6572.jpg

fireman

Duke I believe the rear end and brakes are Model A also modified by the Ponds. The gear reduction is probably made by them also.

stevebo

They used model a rear ends. The one you have is out of a bigger engine model as the rear brakes are bigger. You will notice some wheels have longer flagstick connecting the Hubs to the rim which are the smaller engine rear ends.

Typos above as I am on my cell phone

whlpny

Bob The tranny on a Senior is Ford V-8, The tranny on a Lever Steer is Model A. The clutch on a Senior is The Ford V-8 Clutch. The Clutch on the Lever Steer is a Rockford Overcenter clutch.  The gear reduction boxes were cast specifically for the Lever Steers and the Seniors- sorry guy you are going to have to make your own gaskets or get out the Ultra Seal.  The hub seals are available as a Ford part through Snyders.

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Bob what kind of rear end is in it? Do you have any Idea of the year of MFG of the tranny and rear end in my tractor? Were they vintage old Junk Yard

parts used back they or were they present day parts? :dunno:  Thanks everyone for all your help. This thing has oil leaks all over it.  :disgust:

~Duke  :wh:

ol550

. This thing has oil leaks all over it.  :disgust:

~Duke  :wh:

That ain't oil leaking, it's preservation fluid. :ychain:

• Like 2

whlpny

I am not a Ford guy but  I know the V-8 started in 1932- and ended early 50's. I would think they are junkyard dogs.

Uncle Buck

I thought I read that both the transmissions and rear ends were Model A. Regarding the transmissions, to have been used in the manufacture of these tractors given the years they were made new Ford V-8 transmissions would have been available, but as I said, I thought I read that those parts were all Model A and came from junkyards.

The Model A was made from 1928-1931. That alone would ensure any A parts used in the manufacture of the machines certainly would have been used.

EDIT: I KNOW I READ THAT THE TRANSMISSIONS USED WERE MODEL A, AS WELL AS THE REAR ENDS AND THAT BOTH CAME FROM JUNKYARDS. HOWEVER THE PICTURES ABOVE INDEED DO SHOW A EARLY FORD V-8 TRANSMISSION!

Edited by Uncle Buck

whlpny

Again-Trannies in Lever Steers are Model A, Trannies in Seniors are Ford V-8. I have one of each in original condition-trust me-go re -read.

• Like 1

wh500special

Bob, how many levers and seniors have you ushered through your place now?

Among you, Larry, and Dave p. it's probably been the bulk of them made.

I always enjoy your inputs on these dinosaurs!

Steve

• Like 1

whlpny

Thanks Steve! Hmm well- it looks like 4 Seniors and 6 Lever Steers have passed through my barn. Larrys numbers are real comparable just more on the Senior side for him I believe. And I still would allow more on in if I were to have anymore luck. The Senior is my favorite Horse!

• Like 1

dovetail53

Bob,

if you've any interest in my 2 cents worth.... I've a friend who owns a "1937" Ford pickup with the flathead V8 engine in it. he has been street rodding for probably 40 years...plenty of knowledge when it comes to the old Fords. he has looked at both of my Seniors, and in his opinion, the rear and transmission are identical to the ones in his truck. consequently, I have acquired various gaskets and parts for my tractors from a catalog put out by "Mac's" antique auto parts. you can find them online, then if you like, order their catalog to order parts as needed. I've purchased the rear axle housing gaskets there........ you'll want to order the .010 thickness gaskets because upon measuring the originals, I found they were that size. although it is not as critical as say in a higher speed vehicle, the backlash of the ring and pinion should not be altered. I've also got the torque tube rear gasket from them. also, if memory serves me well, I got a universal gasket set for the transmission. you'll find things like the rubber seals for the drag link and tie rods in their catalog. things like the brake lining are also in there catalog, it just may take a bit of research to figure out exactly what you may need. 

as for the vintage of the Senior, I agree with Bob R. 100%..... the Seniors use the V8 tranny and rear, and the Lever steers use the Rockford clutch and the model A tranny..... probably uses the model A rear also?

I'm certainly by no means an expert on the Seniors, but after researching and tinkering with them since 1998. I've come to know a little bit about them. hope this offers a bit of insight for you.

Good luck!

Dan

Edited by dovetail53
  • Like 2

Uncle Buck

Again-Trannies in Lever Steers are Model A, Trannies in Seniors are Ford V-8. I have one of each in original condition-trust me-go re -read.

Bob,

if you've any interest in my 2 cents worth.... I've a friend who owns a "1937" Ford pickup with the flathead V8 engine in it. he has been street rodding for probably 40 years...plenty of knowledge when it comes to the old Fords. he has looked at both of my Seniors, and in his opinion, the rear and transmission are identical to the ones in his truck. consequently, I have acquired various gaskets and parts for my tractors from a catalog put out by "Mac's" antique auto parts. you can find them online, then if you like, order their catalog to order parts as needed. I've purchased the rear axle housing gaskets there........ you'll want to order the .010 thickness gaskets because upon measuring the originals, I found they were that size. although it is not as critical as say in a higher speed vehicle, the backlash of the ring and pinion should not be altered. I've also got the torque tube rear gasket from them. also, if memory serves me well, I got a universal gasket set for the transmission. you'll find things like the rubber seals for the drag link and tie rods in their catalog. things like the brake lining are also in there catalog, it just may take a bit of research to figure out exactly what you may need. 

as for the vintage of the Senior, I agree with Bob R. 100%..... the Seniors use the V8 tranny and rear, and the Lever steers use the Rockford clutch and the model A tranny..... probably uses the model A rear also?

I'm certainly by no means an expert on the Seniors, but after researching and tinkering with them since 1998. I've come to know a little bit about them. hope this offers a bit of insight for you.

Good luck!

Dan

Speaking for myself I appreciate these posts you guys made very much because these statements make the issue much clearer than the few sentences relevant to this issue in the WH book! My apologies for weighing in on the issue because my experience, background and knowledge about levers or Seniors for that matter is virtually nothing, only what I read in that WH book. I am however more versed with Model A Ford and pre 1948 Fords which was what prompted me to comment in the first place.

Your clarifications however explain why I had read about Model A parts used on early WH tractors yet the pictures in this thread clearly showed what was a V-8 transmission, so again thank you for the lesson and the clarification. Now I know just a bit more thanks to you gentlemen.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2