Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Lawn Ranger Tecky Oil Pushing Out Breather ??

stevebo

All-

I recently picked up a really nice Lawn Ranger for my son at my meet and greet. It runs awesome but when mowing on uneven ground oil pushes out of the breather tube. At first I thought it was due to overfilling the oil since I just replaced the oil today. The oil level is correct. Can anyone shed light on this besides the fact it is a tecky?? lol 

Martin

Steve, does it have some sort of filter or baffle that should be on or in the breather tube? most engines have some sort of oil control or drain to stop oil exhaling with crankcase pressure.....

not familiar with teckys........

groundhog47

Check page 87 of this manual: I got one in for maintenance one time almost sme prob, some one had mounted crankcase breather upside down and oil would not drain out once entered. Don't know which engine (6hp?) it is but prob near alike on all, even B&S has an upside down. It's even tougher to determine with inattention on multi piece breathers. 

Also:from manual..

BREATHER PASSING OIL

1. Check the oil level, make sure the engine is not overfilled. Also verify that the viscosity rating on the container of

the oil being used is to specification.

2. Check the angle of operation. Avoid prolonged use at a severe angle.

3. Check the engine R.P.M. setting for excessive R.P.M. using a vibratach or other tachometer and compare it to the

R.P.M. settings found on microfiche card # 30 according to the engine model and specification number. Adjust the

high and low R.P.M. as necessary.

4. Check for leaking or damaged gaskets, seals, or "O"-rings. External leaks may not be evident; however, the leak

may prevent the engine from achieving a partial crankcase vacuum.

5. Check the breather for damage, dirty condition, or improper installation. The oil return hole(s) must face down.

6. Check the engine compression using a compression tester. If the engine has weak compression, determine the

cause of weak compression: worn rings, leaking head gasket, or leaking valves. Follow the compression tester's

procedure

Edited by groundhog47

slammer302

I have two teckys that do the same thing

stevebo

The only thing I can see is the tube is a little loose but facing down. Not sure if it should be tight or not.

groundhog47

The only thing I can see is the tube is a little loose but facing down. Not sure if it should be tight or not.

Not that tube is upside down, but holes in back of breather assembly facing crankcase. They should face down. Rubber tube loose has no bearing unless so badly hardened won't seal

buckrancher

steve check the tube to besure a mud wasp has not plugged the inside of the tube I had that happen once

Edited by buckrancher
  • Like 1

groundhog47

I have two teckys that do the same thing

Check to see if inside of breather is upside down. It has bleed off holes, that if not facing down will allow breather to collect oil enough to blow out tube, doesn't matter if tube twists around or not or upside down except would fill with dirt and poss water.