jdleach

Just why are Commando V7s So Unpopular?

jdleach

As I stated in my first forum post, I drug my old V7 out of the weeds last weekend, and am contemplating doing a resto. The thing is though, I have read numerous post about how many members would not have one. This I don't quite understand.

I looked my tractor over pretty closely after I got it out, and see the Wheel Horse heritage all through it. Cast iron pedals, front axle, transaxle, pinion and sector steering, etc. The styling is all Wheel Horse.

The only real downsides, other than it is small (which can be a benefit), is that it sports a Tecumseh engine, has no PTO, no Tach-matic, and that it doesn't have a true frame. The frame issue though is really a non-issue, because when this tractor was constructed, the frame wasn't stamped, but bent sheet steel and welded up. The steel itself is about an 1/8" thick, which is more that adequate.

I am also aware of the shifter seal problem, but surely this item can be fabricated or otherwise rigged.

So what is the deal?

rmaynard

It is not a garden tractor, and in my humble opinion, that's the main reason.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I agree....Most here like garden tractors and the V7 is a lawn tractor....as well as others we have seen.

It all depends what what a person wants to do with their machine. That is why so many different machines were made in the first place.

To each his own...Some like black hoods, others don't....same deal!

It isn't that others don't like them or want them....they just don't fit into their need or use.

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 1

Tankman

Haven't needed a lawn tractor in forty years. Garden tractors complete the tasks, without crying, that I need done.

Red Stallions all the way!   :ychain:

• Like 1

can whlvr

I don't have any lawn tractors myself but that doesn't mean you cant restore your tractor,its probally a great lawn tractor,to each their own

wh500special

A little late to the party, but a few comments regarding the oldest vertical shaft WH's:

While most of us aren't particularly fond of them, the early V7 and V8 tractors were, indeed, garden tractors.  The cast iron and steel geared transaxle in them was designed for ground engaging work and was intended to be as tough as the unidrives featured in the more conventional lines of tractors.  Tillers were available and a clevis hitch could be fitted in case you wanted to plow, disc, or cultivate.

These were introduced in '68 at about the same time some other manufacturers dipped a toe in the vertical shaft configuration.  The concept must have been on the right track since most modern tractor platforms have migrated to a vertical shaft arrangement with its inherent packaging efficiencies even on heavy duty machines from Deere, Cadet, Simplicity, Toro, etc.

True, they were a little lower slung than the bigger garden tractors and felt more compact, but they were quite heavy duty nonetheless.  Geez, look at the front trame section of the V8's! 

I think the engine failures of the Kohler KV181 (in the V8's) and the complete lack of marketing were a problem for them.  By the time WH had ditched the problematic KV's and went exclusively with the more reliable Tecumseh replacements the line had already gained a reputation as being somewhat trouble prone.  I think the hydro units on the Charger versions also ended up being weaker than intended...perhaps since they didn't have a large capacity and (I think) lacked a filter for the system.

Beyond the tiller, clevis hitch, and a couple of mowing decks WH didn't make a big effort to support the lineup with additional attachments.  On a comparative basis the established, already-old conventional layout tractor offered advantages at the point of sale.  They were competing with other WH tractors in the showroom in addition to those of other colors and it apparently didn't make much sense at the time.  Essentially, they were way to heavy and expensive to be a lightweight lawn mower but not big and heavy enough to be a multipurpose unit.

I am under the impression that some pink slips were issued over the line as well.  I think a fair number of dealers hated them.  They hung on until the early 70's with the "CG" variants, but faded from memory.

Collectors have never zeroed in on these things probably for a number of reasons.  Most of those reasons probably parallel the reasons they weren't big sellers when new.  Few of us have childhood connections to these things.  Many of them were probably scrapped when the engines blew.  They have a much lower perceived value than the conventionally crafted machines.  .  Ans, being equipped with Tecumseh engines certainly doesn't buy them much favor in this Kohler-loving crowd.

I think there is a place for these models in a serious collector's fleet.  They should be appreciated for what they are and were - a different solution to a common problem.  If your tractor has value to you, I encourage you to restore it.   There won't be a lot of secondary interest in the thing should you decide to sell, but please fix it up and enjoy it for what it is.  With few exceptions this is a hobby that won't pay you back for the time and effort you put into ANY machine anyway.

The whole succession of vertical shaft tractors really doesn't garner much respect in our collector circles.  But - with some exceptions - WH always offered a product fully capable within its intended class.  In most cases, i'd rate their vertical shaft tractors at least as high as any class competative tractor.   It started with the V7/V8's and progressed right thru to the 400XT series.

There are even some rare machines in the long line of verts.  YT-12A anyone?  How about the L-chassis 211-3?

I think I'm going to launch a PR campaign to clean up the image of the tipped-over-engine class of tractor.  Maybe they should be featured at the show.  And it has nothing to do with the fact that I have a bunch of them I'd love to sell at top dollar someday! :)

Steve

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Kelly

I think Steve hit the nail on the head, the early ones are pretty stout machines, finding parts and attachments will be a challenge, but stuff is out there, in fact I have a NOS shifter with a NOS boot on it and a used snow blade to fit if your looking.   

Save Old Iron

How about the L-chassis 211-3?

or the 211-5

very easy to get on and off and plenty more leg room than a D200 !!!

attach a cart to the 211 and hand it over to the kids or the wife.

got mine for free since no one showed any respect for the model

been a faithful worker over the last few years

• Like 2

jdleach

Steve, that was a very well written, and informative reply. I concur that these machines are not a garden tractor, but they are the closest things you will find to one in terms of ruggedness and construction. I remember when I first bought the V7, it is a 1969 model, I had to remove the mower deck to replace the blades and do other work to the underneath. Liked to killed me lifting the front of that little tractor onto some blocks. Was 29 then, at 55 now, it would kill me.

As I said in my first post on the subject, an examination of the carcass a week ago showed the great similarities in the V7 and my 312-8, namely cast iron everywhere, and substantial frame construction. The same type and style of dash as used on the letter series big boys, etc.

Kelly, if you ever run across any V-series carcasses that have parts that will fit my V7, let me know. I think I would really like to restore this little bugger.

• Like 1

i had a real nice original 1969 V7 for sale on here asking i think $250.  this thing was nice , too good to restore. no one had any interest. it was still being used and after the tecumseh blew i offered it for $50....still no takers.   i ended up parting it out ,few parts on ebay , some i still have

69wheelhorse002.jpg

Edited by 305

jdleach

305, that is a real pity. That is the best looking V7 I have seen. And even with the motor blown, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. This weekend will try to get a few pics. of my derelict. Sad doesn't describe it.

Your little tractor would have been a great recipient of the Tecumseh on mine. After the motor got so weak it would hardly pull the tractor, I decided to overhaul it. Found the cylinder wall was shot. Amazingly, Tec. made a cast iron version of the same engine, and I was able to find a block, rebuilt it with a bore and new piston, rod etc. The engine is still new, but had all kind of grief with the carb. and ignition and lost interest. Tractor went to the weeds. And that was in about 1986.

RDH

Just had a V7 given to me. Pretty much complete but rough. Am 70 with little else to do so I am going to give it a go.

Pullstart
34 minutes ago, RDH said:

Just had a V7 given to me. Pretty much complete but rough. Am 70 with little else to do so I am going to give it a go.

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs: @RDH!  Post up some pictures of your new ride, if you can.  A free WheelHorse is a good one, no matter the condition!

tbbahner

And whats wrong with fixin up a vertical shaft WH????

wh a111.jpg

• Like 3