Larry

520H hydro leak

Larry

I have a leak that I haven't been able to locate for a few years.  I solved a good bit of the problem when I found the plastic fill tube had cracked adjacent to the threads.  I replace that with a length of iron pipe cut to length and ground flat for the dipstick.  But the tractor continues to leak near the hydro side.  What is the most common place for a seal to fail?  Does the hydro have to come apart to replace seals?   I think the axle tube seals are okay.

MalMac

Best thing to do is get washed off good (power wash) that will allow you to see where the oil is coming from or at least a general area. A little oil leak can go a long way on making a huge mess making it difficult to locate where it's originating form.

ericj

spray it with simple green and rinse it off like was said above get it clean and then you can see better where it is coming from

eric j 

Craig Arndt

My leak was coming from a couple places.  There is a red colored metal hose running below the fan that was misting out oil.  I put a white liquid teflon paste on it, took care of it immediately.  The other leak was coming from a black hose behind the fan that was on a swivel type adapter.  That was fixed I believe by replacing the rubber o-ring with a nitrile o-ring I bought a box from Harbor Freight.  I am still finding some areas I may be misting past the seals, but the leaks are gone.  Just have to know I need to routinely clean the pump fans and fan so it stays cool

• Like 1

Larry

Craig, I suspect that metal tube just above the input shaft.  Was that difficult to service?  What has to get off?  I had to replace two of those rubber hydraulic lines a couple of years back due to leaking.  I had to have one made locally from parts because Toro was out of stock and it was middle season.  The commercial fittings aren't tidy 90* pieces either, they have a long sweep.  It was a nightmare to install.   I have leaks at the deck control valve underneath too.  That is really hard to work on with all the hidden fasteners that should have had captive nuts!  There's a bit of oil from everywhere.  I'm trying to get the worst ones.