Larry

temperture gauge for the hydro - 520H

Larry

Has anyone installed a temperature gauge for monitoring the hydro temperature?  I was considering removing the voltmeter which is of hardly any information and installing an automotive oil temperature gauge in this spot.  I was wondering what the nominal temperature is for the hydro on a hot day so I select a meter with a good range.  The voltmeter isn't needed, but feedback on when the hydro needs clippings cleaned out would be valuable.

Forest Road

I've only met one guy who had his overheat. There's a temp sensor with an idiot light on the dash. He was using his tractor as a bulldozer on a hot summer day. He said it came on a few times that week. Never had a problem once he was done grading his yard. To say he was abusing his horse is an understatement.

Personally I clean my hydro unit a few times a season. Never had a problem.

gwest_ca

From page 3-38 of the Demystification Guide

Garry

post-120-0-93267500-1398423028_thumb.jpg

ericj

my brother had the temp light come on, on his 520-H last year and we were having a hard time figuring out why till i remembered something a dealer buddy told me about something that happened to him he replaced a pump on a eaton 1100 and inadvertently put the fan on backwards. my brother flipped the fan blade and his over heating problems went away. has your fan been off lately

eric j

Larry

I put the mower blades on backwards once;  it didn't cut too well and used a lot of fuel to cut the yard.  :angry-banghead: .  Anyway, the hydro collects a lot of clippings and is difficult to inspect.  I thought a gauge would help me keep track of the temperature before it ran hot enough to turn on the idiot light.  My hydro temp sender is broken, so it's time to do something about it anyway.

Aussie

I have fitted one in the 520H I am currently refurbishing as the sender for the light was broken. It replaces the vacuum gauge but I haven't tried it out yet.