olddude

518 8speed wont shift to high gear

olddude

I just became the proud new owner of this tractor and after servicing it and cleaning it up a little before I gave it a test run I noticed that it will not shift into high range. It looks and feels like it's shifting but it stays in low range. I had heard that the little pin sometimes snaps off right where it goes into the housing but that appears to be ok. Does that sound like a relative simple fix or have I bought another one of those cream puffs that was only used on sunday afternoons by a real old lady to ride though her flower garden to look at all the pretty flowers?

stevasaurus

If it is the hi/low shift fork, it is fixable.  It does require to drop and split the trans.  While I can think of more things that are easy, this is not too bad.  It is labor intensive, but it is not a bunch of $ to do...and we will help walk you through it if needed.  There are some threads in the transmission section that show this part and discuss what is involved.  Try doing a search or we can put some links in here so you can see what it takes.  :)

Here is one of the links...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/links/link/50-idiots-guide-to-8-speed-trans-rebuild/

• Like 1

olddude

If it is the hi/low shift fork, it is fixable.  It does require to drop and split the trans.  While I can think of more things that are easy, this is not too bad.  It is labor intensive, but it is not a bunch of $ to do...and we will help walk you through it if needed.  There are some threads in the transmission section that show this part and discuss what is involved.  Try doing a search or we can put some links in here so you can see what it takes.  :)

Here is one of the links...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/links/link/50-idiots-guide-to-8-speed-trans-rebuild/

Thanks......This may have to wait until winter. I guess we will have to cut grass in low gear this summer, hopefully nothing flys apart in there and crashes the whole tranny until I get time to pull it apart. Hopefully the part will still be available.

bmsgaffer

Have you changed the oil in the rear end?

Sometimes a lack of oil or old watery oil can cause shifting difficulties, and the shifter will flex enough to hit the end of the cut out in the shifter plate before it gets into high gear.

Does it shift into neutral when you go towards high? Sometimes if you are trying to shift into high, apply a light force on the shifter towards high and feather the clutch in and out spin the transmission just a little to see if it will go into high.

olddude

Have you changed the oil in the rear end?

Sometimes a lack of oil or old watery oil can cause shifting difficulties, and the shifter will flex enough to hit the end of the cut out in the shifter plate before it gets into high gear.

Does it shift into neutral when you go towards high? Sometimes if you are trying to shift into high, apply a light force on the shifter towards high and feather the clutch in and out spin the transmission just a little to see if it will go into high.

oil is good. It dosen't do anything just stays in low gear.

stevasaurus

Hope that works for ya. 

Edited by stevasaurus

Desko

The hi/lo forks may be bent causing it to bind up on the inside and I did not know WH made a 518-8 only a 520-8?

• Like 1

JackC

Never heard of a 518-8, only 518H.

Used 8 speed transmissions go for as little as $50 or even less.  

Rollers without engines go for around $100.

Some people give them away or junk them when the tractor does not run and is not worth fixing to them (not us).

I have never done one, but I assume a swap is a lot less time than a tear down and fix which you could do later and you do not know what you will find once you open it up.

jmho

bmsgaffer

oil is good. It dosen't do anything just stays in low gear

Then almost assuredly the shift fork is broken in the transmission. See steve's post above :)

olddude

The hi/lo forks may be bent causing it to bind up on the inside and I did not know WH made a 518-8 only a 520-8?

I gave it to my son to use at his house. I thought it had a 518-8 sticker on it. It looks just like my 520H only smaller with no hydraulics and a manual shift setup.

gwest_ca

There was a 418-8 in 1987 with an electric lift as standard equipment.

Garry

olddude

There was a 418-8 in 1987 with an electric lift as standard equipment.

Garry

This one is all manual.....I'm probably wrong about the model number, you know how it is with old people can't remember anything for long. I do remember it has a 12 hp kohler on it. He's going to check the tag when he gets home from work. Thanks

Desko

Then my guess that it would be a 312-8 it believe it has the 1" axles and a 4 pinion differential but it may have 1 1/8" axles with an 8 pinion differential.

• Like 2

olddude

Then my guess that it would be a 312-8 it believe it has the 1" axles and a 4 pinion differential but it may have 1 1/8" axles with an 8 pinion differential.

Then your guess would be correct. Sorry for the confusion I'll try to do better in the future. Someone mentioned these transmissions being plentiful and rather cheap. Where do you look for such an item? I know nothing is ever cheap at the local dealer around here so where else can I go to find a good used one?

bmsgaffer

Classified section here is a good start. Place an ad in "wanted".

There are several guys who are vendors for old used stuff and may be able to help you out. Just make sure to measure your axles to see if they are 1" or 1 1/8" (Although, it doesn't matter if you plan on using the hubs from the donor as well!)

Ebay would be my second choice, guys on here you can usually trust to give you a run down on actual condition of the transmission, ebay you just never know and tend to pay a little more.