Firpo701

Pond Walk Behind

Firpo701

Got hold of a Pond Walk Behind and am trying to determine what year it may be. It is stamped "Pond" on the gear case cover, but, it has 16 inch 6 lug hubs and wheels. Any ideas? Getting ready to start restoring it. Got a little Clinton that's just dying to be used for something good! Lol!

post-12671-0-02636200-1398221787_thumb.j

post-12671-0-40927600-1398222017_thumb.j

Edited by Firpo701
  • Like 2

Brrly1

How about an overall shot of the whole tractor/walk behind?

Firpo701

This is the best I can do

Lane Ranger

JWL  -a member on Red Square is one of the most knowledgeable members about these two wheel Pond walk behinds!  He has several.

fireman

I have a manual for the 1954 and the diagram looks just like yours. It was available with 6-16 rims, tires, and hubs. Also according to the manual it came with the following engine models:

Briggs Model 6

Briggs Model 8

Clinton Model 700

Clinton Model 1100

Kohler Model K-90

The 2 wheel tractors were made from 1948 till 1956. The engine serial number is going to be the best way to date it and thats only if it is the original. From 1948 till 1952 it was only available with a 1.75 hp engine. In 1953 it was availabe with only a 2 or 3 hp engine.  In 1954,1955 and 1956 it was available with a 2, 2.5, 3.0 or 3.5 hp engine. 

If I were to guess I would say yours is between 54' and 56'

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

whlpny

Out of all the Walkaways I have owned and seen -I have only had one other like yours. Yours looks to have the continuous frame and they seem to be more rare. By continuous I mean the lower frame and handle bar are formed from one single piece of solid bar on each side.

• Like 1

jwl

don't think I can add much info to the stuff that's already posted. There seems to be a lot of changes that went on during the 54-56 models. I'm thinking those wheels with the slots in them were at the tail end of production, but the one piece handles was supposed to be earlier. Having the Clinton would be a bonus. Just guessing I would say its a PT 25 or PT 30. There was also WS series, but I haven't figured out what makes them that. Would like to see what the upper end of the handles look like, as there seems to be a lot of changes in just the cross bar that the clutch rod goes though.

• Like 1

Eriks Red horse herd

Nice find!  Bob (whlpny) is Right you have an early model of the belt tension style walkers. From 1948 to some time in 1953 Walkways were engine sliders. ( what i mean is the engine slid on frame  to adjust the tension).Then some time in 1953 they went to a idler pulley style tensioner  were the engine stayed stationary and the tension was applied by an idler pulley . Also the rims went from spoked style to solid rims . The 6x12 was solid and the 6x16 had the key hole style rims.The handle bars in 1953 started out on the new model as a solid frame (handle bars and frame all in one) they were 3/4 inch in dia.  Then in 1954 the handle bars and frame were seperated ( for ease of shipping). The handle bars became tubular (7/8 to 1 inch in dia.) and were bolted to the frame. A nice little plate was welded to the handle bars midway down the bottom of the handle bars and thats were the Pond- Wheel Horse decal was located. Before this model there were no decals only the raised Pond name on the gear box. 

I have an identical style WalkAway as yours except mine has 6x12 tires and a Briggs 2  Hp model 6  I've dated the engine to early August of 1953. 

So i think you have a 1953 should have a Clinton 1100 on it.  By the way Glen Petit  reproduces the coke bottle handles for your walker . He made a set for mine and the are CHERRY!

So were did ya find the two wheeler? the rims look quite RUSTY.

Firpo701

A friend of mine gave it to me. He has one that is together and running with the 6-12's on it. He found this one at the bottom of a scrap pile in Southern Ohio. He was told it had been outside for 35 years. He told me he didn't have time to restore it but he wanted to see it done and not end up in a scrap yard. The wheels are a little rusty, but I believe they will clean up alright. Thank you for all of the information!

Brrly1

Looks like an interesting project as I have two of these. I'll try to snap a few pictures this afternoon. I have been told that one is a 48' pond. Maybe you guys can help me identify. Thanks

Firpo701

Ok...the Pond didn't have an engine when I got it. I know from the earlier replys that it is supposed to have a Clinton 1100. Got hold of these two Clinton's today in hopes to make one good one forthe walk behind. One is a Clinton D1162...which has a gear reduction crank...but it also has all of the tins and gas tank straps. The others id plate is illegible. From the pics...I'm hoping to take two and make one good one!

post-12671-0-03605100-1398400965_thumb.j

post-12671-0-36639900-1398401434_thumb.j

Edited by Firpo701

Firpo701

Pulled these out of a friend of mines basement for 25 bucks!

Hammerhead

Nice find and it was saved from the scrap heap! Here's a cool rare Brochure for the Walk Away! 031_zps882940ae.jpg030_zpsf1b16d69.jpg

• Like 4

Firpo701

Finally getting started on some of the walk behind parts!

post-12671-0-72171900-1405215820_thumb.j

post-12671-0-36723000-1405215850_thumb.j

• Like 4

Eriks Red horse herd

looking good  cant wait to see it all done . Boy I love fresh red paint and the rims look good too!

jwl

last weekend I found a Pioneer model A engine. According to some info I found in here, and cant find now, this type engine was one of the options on the early Ponds. I have it running now and will have to look for another tractor on 12" wheel to mount it on.

post-11057-0-13528900-1405224001.jpg

Edited by jwl
  • Like 1

psychocontractorguy

Great thread...hard to find information on these. 

• Like 2

jwl

got the Poineer mounted on a DB test bed, until I find another Pond. Put a lawn roller on the tractor and it pulled me around the yard without any trouble, so It looks like its going to be a good one. I have the orginal fuel tank, but it was full of crud and i'll have to get it cleaned up way better before using it. Lucky for me the petcock was shut off and the gunk didn't make it down into the carb.

post-11057-0-13382500-1405390600.jpg

• Like 4