wh5208speed

Wheel Horse Safety Tip - Personal Experience

wh5208speed

Just thought I would share an embarrassing story in the hopes it raises some awareness of safety while on your Wheel Horses this spring.

I like to keep my tractors in good shape. I usually give the tractors a wax job every year along with annual maintenance. One of the things that has always annoyed me was when the seat cracks. So for years....and I mean like 20 years, I have consistently used Armor-All on my all of my seats. Well, yesterday....will be the last time.

I was mowing with the 520H with 60†deck yesterday and I had made a pass and was backing up and turning around to go back for another cut on the grass. When I was backing up I turned the wheel pretty sharp to the left and when the tractor turned, I slipped right off my greasy Armor-All’d seat and fell on top of the deck height adjustment lever. Let’s just say that hurt quite a bit…… and I have 8 stiches in my bottom to prove it. Thankfully, I always keep my mowing shields in place. Starting 1996 Toro started to put the PTO shield on….and I never saw that much benefit…..well, while sitting on the mower deck I saw a lot of value! I was real glad they put that on as the 520-H I was mowing with, as it is a 1997 model.

So, in summary:

-Never, Armor-All your seat

-Always keep your shields and covers in place

-When the seat cracks….if it bothers you, you can always get a new one

Thad (Ohio)

post-745-0-35924600-1398214875_thumb.jpg

Edited by wh5208speed
  • Like 2

squonk

don't do it on a bike seat either! :angry-nono:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:omg:  Yikes! Hope you're OK, and heal up quickly.    :scared-eek:

stevebo

Good topic/point. I have been running my 60" deck without the belt covers and chute. I have them rounded up and plan on installing them this year when I hang the deck and yes... I have armor all on my seat (but not the one that I mow with). 

JackC

Good advice. Thanks.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thank you for that awareness comment. Glad you didnt get hurt worse.

Glenn

neil

glad you are ok , 

what actually is armor all?

64s

Here's Armour All,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor_All

Many moons ago, I put it on my steering wheel - another no no!!

Edited by 64s

RMCIII

Yeah, that is some pretty scarry stuff... During harvest season, I would shut everyone down for a day, and detail the cab of the combine, tractors, and trucks.... I thought I would use some Armour All on the clutch pedal and steering brakes of the combine..... When I got done, it looked outstanding.... The driver was so happy he did not even hear me say BTW - I did put Armour All on the pedals, be careful... Well, he went to use the right steering brake to manuver through a tight spot, his foot slipped right off the pedal, and he almost put the corn header through the side of the barn..... He was shaking so bad, it took him 20 minutes, to calm down.... From that day on, no more Armour All on anything in any cab.

swarfeater

my wife did me a big 'favor" once when she gave my ford ranger a good cleanout(she had been using it for a few months).  cleaned it up real good and to make it even better, she armor alled the interior. leather seats.pedals,steering wheel, everything. looked real real good, but turned out to be the most dangerous vehicle in the world to drive.., and like the ads say, it lasts for months !!!!!!

bmsgaffer

Yea, that silicone spray stuff is not good for working surfaces (in fact, it even says so on the bottle :eusa-whistle: )

I have had good luck on tractors that I have purchased from others that did that is to wash the seat and plastic parts down with Dawn. (has to be the name brand)

It wont eliminate it completely but it does take quite a bit off and removes some of the slickness.

papaglide

I hope you heal up right quick! Last year I armor- alled the seat on my B-80. Let's just say that it looked great but I couldn't put my cub cadet seat cover on it quick enough. I was sliding around that seat so much. It really sucked.

Rick_in_CT

Thad,

When you went to the ER did you tell them that you fell of your horse, my Wheel Horse of course.  It certainly would look better in the newspaper if it said that you fell off your horse and not your tractor.  While in my early 40's I went to the ER with a shattered elbow from a go kart crash, and one of the nurses suggested that I should grow up.  No risk, no reward.  We want you to buck up and get back on that horse and teach her a lesson.  No Red Square members get thrown without getting back on.

Glad to hear that your ok.  Sage advise to keep all guards in place, you never know when stuff is going to happen.

Rick

RMCIII

Here is one for the herd. Can anyone identify/pipoint what may have caused this? I'll give you a hint, I just posted some photos in the "What did you do for your horse today" thread. Maybe it will help to narrow it down.

post-10322-0-55778800-1401182939_thumb.j

squonk

Armour all a bike seat, hit the gas and see what happens!

RMCIII

Here is one for the herd. Can anyone identify/pipoint what may have caused this? I'll give you a hint, I just posted some photos in the "What did you do for your horse today" thread. Maybe it will help to narrow it down.

Pressure washer accident. Luckily I did not have it on the highest setting. I still had 3 more settings that I could have increased the pressure. The was 1800 psi across my arm. Holding the wand with 1 hand and washing the horse with another. I was not watching where the end of the wand was, it hit the front tire just right, casued the wand to surge left, and wha-la, instant flesh peeling from my arm. Had I been using the highest setting, I would imagine that entire area would have lost the flesh. Fun times.

Flatheadpete

Also, repair any damaged/old/rusted sheetmetal.  I need to get to the rust repair on the mower deck of my 586 soon.  It's sharp and the metal is thin.  Accident waiting to happen.  This weekend I'll get on it!

Stepney

don't do it on a bike seat either! :angry-nono:

..Like on a fully restored 1953 Columbia..? Could have said that earlier....  :roll: