Sign in to follow this  
papaglide

It's Alive!!!

papaglide

I just got done driving the 417 and 416 around the yard. Parked them in the barn and was getting ready to close it up for the night. I was finishing my can of beer, looking at the black hood just sitting there. I said what the hell. Cranked her for about 15 seconds. Something sounded a little different. Cranked her again for about 15 seconds and Hot Damn! She started to run!

I sat down and throttled up. The 16 horse shook at idle but at full throttle she smoothed right out and was quiet. I took up and down the driveway going thru all the gears : everything was good!

I didn't do anything but clean out the tank, flush the lines, and put in a filter. I changed the spark plug, cleaned out the bowl and sprayed the crap out of the carb with cleaner. She sounds good with just a few small backfires at full throttle: I will adjust the carb tomorrow.

post-2771-0-04120800-1398132339_thumb.jp

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Congrats. It sure is a good feeling when something comes together easy once in a while.

Glenn

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Just can't keep a good black hood down :handgestures-thumbupright::greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 2

papaglide

First time that she has been run in a few years. Let's see what she does later this afternoon. I will report back with any news.

• Like 1

Tankman

Now that black hood is ready for spring! Very nice sharing!  :ychain:

Cutlas3391

Lol try 7 years ago it was truly run I started it up a few years ago and a few times this last week. The guy before me Let it sit for 5 years. Glad to hear it's running good for you. Keep us posted.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

papaglide

The little backfires should have been a clue. Gas dripping out of the seam between the bowl and the carb led me to take the bowl off and see that the float was/is stuck in the up position. The engine was flooding itself. I took the carb off and dropped it off to get cleaned- you see, I have no idea how to do it! I am learning as I go and definitely kicking myself in the ass for not paying attention to all of the engine stuff that my older brother was doing when we were much younger! Oh well. The carb should be ready early next week. In the meantime, the tin will come off and a real good cleaning will take place. Unfortunately it's still to cool to paint the tin.

Edited by papaglide