Lane Ranger

Used my 37 inch tiller for the first time on the C-121 Wheel Horse

Lane Ranger

I used my tiller for the first time yesterday.  It took 1 1/2 hours to till up a garden for one of my friends.    Here are a few photos.    I  took two passes and then lowered the tiller down one chain knotch and ended up  tilling about 6 inches deep.

I always wondered how these things operated and now I know a little bit more about it!

post-339-0-21924100-1398106863.png

post-339-0-62215900-1398106923_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-70805300-1398106944_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-71338100-1398121485_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

Looks like nice :wh: work you did there Lane.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

doc724

I used mine for the first time last fall. Lots of fun isn't it!   I was very happy with the result.  I did not need weights but I do have Ag tires.  I used to use a mold board plow but sold it a few years back.  Your garden looks to me to be about 2-3x the size of mine.  I am getting too old to have a big garden and all the kids have grown and moved on. Still too wet here in SE Mass to till, another two weeks!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Lane, was the area already a garden, or did you just start tilling on the grass to make a new garden plot.

It looks like it did a fine job on the garden.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

This area was a garden about four years ago but lots of clay and when I first started tilling I thought it was going to be a very difficult job for the tiller to cut into.  The grass cover  was about five or six inches tall but as you can see in the last (side view picture) the grass was dried out, tiller under and basically gone by the end of the tilling.   I did do four times which is more than you should have to do but I thought it needed it.  He did have a big burn pile on the plow and there were lots of left over limb and unburned pieces but   we cleared most afte the first pass of the tiller.

I actually was impressed that a 141 inch long belt on this tractor tiller combo could tear this soil up as well as it did.   This tiller is a 37 inch Wheel Horse Model 79-370 made in 1993.  The serial number on mine says it was number 513 in 1993 and this was the frist year of this model that they made for several more years.   I bought a new belt at my Toro dealer today which was $70!  Just in case I need a backup!

cumminscook

looks good used mine for the first time had a lot of fun :)

brandonozz

I've seen a lot of posts about changing the drive pulley to get a little more ground speed but I'm the opposite.  I find when breaking ground with the tiller I really like to go slow on the first, shallow pass so the tiller doesn't bounce too much.  I've considered trying to slow the ground speed down a bit so I don't have to feather the clutch so much.  Second pass at full depth low gear / first gear is perfect.

Ground looks good.... next year I bet you could get it tilled in 20 minutes or less :tools-hammerdrill: 

rexman72

looks like it did a great job and I am sure you had fun doing it

papaglide

Looks good Lane! Nice looking tractor you got there also!

Edited by papaglide