Eric857

flywheel problems

Eric857

Hi, I am having a problem with my flywheel. I used new key stock that I cut to size when i put the flywheel on my k181 and the machine (857) ran for about 2 minutes total (over the course of 2 days) and then I went to start it and the machine wouldn't go and the flywheel wouldn't turn at all... so off it came and I say that the inside part of the flywheel that goes on the crankshaft broke and the key was bent and split. I got a new flywheel and I was advised to use an original key which came with my flywheel, I put in the old key stock, put on the flywheel then noticed that the key wasn't flush with the outside of the flywheel.. it was in about an 8th of an inch. i am scared to put the nut on and start it after what happened last time, does anyone have any suggestions of something i may have done wrong? also there is 1 cm (if that) movement between the flywheel and the back plate when the flywheel spins, there is no play in the flywheel it just seems to be moving in and out as it spins... any thoughts? PLEASE HELP I'M AT MY BREAKING POINT HERE AND THE PROJECT IS DUE THE 15th OF MAY.

groundhog47

Am not sure if key has to be flush with outside or not, but flywheel has to be tight, I has one shear key so clean you'da thuk it was a razor cut. Had not torqued flywheel down enough. Rekeyed, torqued as per spec, no prob since, yet! If you did torque it before and that occurred it is possibly a timing issue, as flywheel inertia is rotating pre firing curve ignition cause flywheel to keep going one way while crank wants to go just opposite even though it was following along just fine. Hopefully this is realm of what you are asking, I'm dyslexic, half the time anyway.

As I again read your post again are you saying the flywheel does not have a taper as does the crankshaft. If all is tight and crank and flywheel move in and out together, there may and sounds like "Crankshaft end play". That's another ball game. At this moment I'm not familiar with the fix as tear down and shimming is what comes to mind.

I believe in the manuals section their is a Kohler engine manual you might wish to review. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:    

"Have a great day every day!"

Edited by groundhog47

SousaKerry

Are you saying that the flywheel wobles back and forth as the engine rotates?  If so it sounds as if your crank may be bent.  That would explain why the previous key broke.  Before putting it all back together make sure the taper bore and the taper on the crank are clean and free of rust.  A little bit of emery cloth sanding goes a long way in getting everything to seat back together good.  Also there should be no grease or oil on the shaft or flywheel bore as the oil will interfere with the taper lock fit. 

A video or a few pictures would be most helpful in diagnosing your problems.

:wwp:

Edited by SousaKerry

rmaynard

Eric,

Please don't take this the wrong way. I know that this is a school project, and that you said you are only 17. My question is, do you have any adult supervision on this project? Are you doing it at school or at home? Working on an engine where the flywheel is not tight, out of balance, or otherwise not right, is extremely dangerous. People have been seriously injured or even killed when a flywheel exploded or came off while running. If this is a school shop project, please seek the help of your instructor immediately. If it is a home project, please find an adult that is familiar with small engines that can give you some advice. On this forum, we can only try to help you based on what you tell us, but not being there, we are at a serious disadvantage.

The last thing we want to hear is about something bad happening to you.

Eric857

Have my dad uncle and grandfather along with my dads friend who is a master mechanic so yes I have people but I have heard mixed opinions about what to do that is why I came here. I wanted some more opinions, right now I have the flywheel off to make sure its straight them I'm going to put it back on more supervision then that of just one person so we can put our heads together. Again I just wanted some other opinions about how to go about this.

• Like 1