Joefrommi65

price on 416-8 trans rebuild

Joefrommi65

Hi all and Happy Easter, I removed the rear wheels on my 416-8 today and noticed alot of play in and out on my axle(horizontally). If i split the trans what should I look for and I was just wondering what it costs to to rebuild the complete trans axle and how available are parts.I dont have any noticable up and down or front to back movement but I am thinking something isnt right.I have not measured the amount of play but how much movement is too much.

Thanks in advance, Joe

doc724

In and out axle movement is normal (about 1/8 inch).  Up and down or front to back is not and is sign of a failed outer needle bearing.  If you are not leaking oil from the outer seals, I would say you are ok. 

stevasaurus

As Doc said...about 1/8" in and out is normal.  A "C" clip on the other end of the axle keeps the axle from coming out.  If the "C" clip comes off the axle (and it sometimes does) you could pull the axle right out.  If that is all you have wrong with your trans, it is as cheap as a "C" clip and the gasket that goes between the halves of the trans.  So the question becomes, do you think you have other problems in there??  How long have you had this machine??  What does the oil look like??  Any other seals leaking??  Why do you think you want to tear it apart??

If you can not pull out the axle, and the oil and seals look good...you can't fix it if it ain't broke.:)  Just so you know...new seals and the gasket...about $20 to $30.  It goes up if you start replacing bearings...in the neighborhood of $150 (this does not count the WH #1533 ball bearing).  Hope that helps.  :)

Joefrommi65

Thanks Doc and Steve for your feedback, I went out measured the play in the axle and it ended up right around 1/8th of an inch so it looks like I am ok there. I had an issue with water mixed with the lube in the rear end so I kind of expected the worst when I noticed the play. I have only owned this tractor for about a 4 months and I am seeing it wasn't treated real well by the po. But thanks again!!!!

Joe

• Like 1

tunahead72

I had an issue with water mixed with the lube in the rear end so I kind of expected the worst when I noticed the play.

Have you resolved this issue?  Drained the old fluid, flushed out the transmission and replaced with new fluid?  Checked and replaced the shifter boot if necessary?

Joefrommi65

I did flush it twice last weekend , then got put on 12 hr.days so hopefully sunday back out in my garage to put the 80/90 back in it, thanks for asking! Oh and I did check the boot it looks good, must be like steve had said condensation from the very cold winter we had.

Joe

• Like 1