papaglide

Hell yeah! I finally got a blackhood!

papaglide

Thanks to fellow member Shawn, aka Cutlas3391, I finally got my elusive black hood. I traded my GT-14 for a 1984 C-165. I think that she looks awesome. She is in pretty good shape and just needs a good cleaning, fresh gas and tune up. Shawn is a helluva guy and I just want to thank him again! Thanks bro!

My plans are to give her a 10 foot resto; looks fine from 10 feet but not perfect up close. We are talking rattle cans and elbow grease! She will definitely be a worker.

post-2771-0-00660500-1397956313_thumb.jp

post-2771-0-08219900-1397956354_thumb.jp

post-2771-0-21191400-1397956568_thumb.jp

post-2771-0-53095300-1397956597_thumb.jp

• Like 7

stevebo

Outside of a C195 IMO that set up with the single pumper big 16hp thumper would be my choice for sure. That is one that is on my want list....  Nice machine and she will make a great worker I am sure. 

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I see you got good taste in Wheel Horses Mike. The C165's are "Bucket List" Wheel Horses for sure. They really are pretty when all painted up and polished.

Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 1

papaglide

Thanks fellas! I am so excited to have her. Right now she won't run due to bad gas but heck that's no problema for sure. Hopefully within the next two days I can really clean her up and hear that 16 horse run!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Welcome to the black hood club...

you scored a really nice one there. 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Papa.....nice score. Keep us updated as your going through the motions. Best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 1

Cutlas3391

Mike, It was a pleasure to meet you and enjoy your new wheel horse! If you ever need anything in the future let me know. I'll keep in touch with you if I come across any wheel horse that you might be interested in. Thanks Shawn

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Trouty56

I've kinda of taken to these blackhoods too....in fact...I have a question....gonna PM you....

• Like 2

squonk

Gonna miss my "White Hood" But now I'm on the hunt for something that will make me look like a circus bear on a tri- cycle!

post-2380-0-17702900-1397992386_thumb.jp

• Like 3

boovuc

Welcome to the darkside! Well.....black hood side anyway.

Outside of the twin blackhoods, (the C-175 and the Super C), the 16 horse single fills that void under the hood better than anything I've seen short of a Van Guard upgrade.

Nice tractor!

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

nice tractor, i've gotta ask, is that a fire in the background of the first pic?

Koen

• Like 1

Martin

looks like a good find from here.......

congrats....

• Like 1

papaglide

Koen, no fire just the sun hitting the hedge row across the street.

Racinbob

Wow! I didn't notice the 'fire' at first. That's a cool shot! Nice tractor too!

• Like 1

papaglide

Well, I drained the gas tank and cleaned it out. Now the screen on the fuel shut off valve is kind of crushed. Should I replace the valve or is it still useable in its present form?

squonk

Tear out the screen and add a filter

• Like 1

papaglide

Thanks Mike.

papaglide

Filter in, screen ripped off, tank flushed with water and now it's a nice black plastic color. How long to wait before I put fresh gas in?

squonk

blow out any remaining water and fill it up. We want to hear it run! 

papaglide

That's what I was hoping to hear! Thank you again sir!

papaglide

Well here's what I got: I disconnected the fuel line from the pump to the carb and turned the engine over until gas was pumped out. Little water at first then gas. Cool. Connected it back up and tried, and tried and tried again. Turning over wanting to start but no start. I have spark but I think that the carb is fouled. I don't get a whiff of gas fumes from the carb. Not being the carb taker apart kind of guy, ( I don't know how!) I will wait until tomorrow and buy a can of carb cleaner and spray the heck out of it. Does this sound like an appropriate plan? For now?

squonk

I think you need to take that carb bowl off might have a gunk build up

papaglide

Sweet! I will give it a shot tomorrow. What is the bowl for? I saw it underneath, behind the air cleaner. Does gas go there first then into the carb? If it's full of gunk then the carb itself may be good to go?

squonk

It's the fuel reservoir that the carb float resides. If there is water/gunk in it it will settle to the bottom. When trying to start with the choke on the engine will try to suck some of this in and won't run on it. I would go to a Napa or small engine place and get new gaskets for it and take the carb right off so you don't drop the float needle. turn it upside down so you get the gaskets in right. Or take it to a shop and have them do it for you.

papaglide

There was crap in the bowl and about a tsp of gas. The float is kind of sticking; it doesn't fall down from the up position. I sprayed the hell out of it and made sure the bowl is clean and the elbow is free flowing. I am going to put it all back together and see what happens. I will probably end up taking the carb off and having it cleaned.