multihobbyguy

Which tire should I order for my loader tractor?

multihobbyguy

Thank you for taking a look. I am buying new ag tires for the back of my loader tractor and I am not sure if one is better than the other. I am looking at the 23x10.50-12 Carlisle Tru Powers and the 23x10.50-12 Firestone Flotaion tires. They are both from Miller tire. The loader tractor is a 520 with the 8.5 rims. I own a pair of the Tru Powers that are 26x12-12's that are mounted up for my D but I haven't put them on since I mounted them so I don't know how they work, but they look great and look very capable. Is one tire going to give me more traction in the dirt than the other? Is one going to stay more square and stable? I am a little worried that the Firestone says flotation and that they may not dig in and have as much traction. I probably would have ordered the Carlisles by now( $30 less per tire) but my front tires are the Firestones 16x6.50-8 triribs and I am a little ocd and I like things that match. If you have an opinion I would appreciate it, Thanks in advance, Chris.

Here is the links to the tires:

http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/23x10-50-12/23x10-50-12-carlisle-tru-power-4-ply/

http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/23x10-50-12/23x10-50-12-firestone-flotation-23-4-ply/

RMCIII

Chris;

Becasue it says "flotation" does not mean it is prone to float on the lawn instead of providing traction.... Those tires are some of the prefered tires for many garden tractor pullers.... Course they do some grinding on the tread then..... The Firestone 23 is a true tractor tire for the garden tractor. It is based on their same tread design as the rear farm tire.....But here is the kicker, if you are planning on using them in the winter time, they will privide little to "0" traction when the snow starts to get hard or get's a little slippery....If you plan to utilize chains, then you are fine... Have you thought about putting an ITP mud ATV tire on?

RC

MalMac

I use the Firestone 23 deg. flotations on my loader tractor plus I use them on my tractors for any dirt work. We also use them on are farm tractors. Other brands of Ag's will work ok but I have found the Firestone's to provide the best traction. Like said though they and other brands of ag's are terrible for snow and Ice work.

Edited by MalMac

shorts

Go with the stones, Firestone is and has been for years the go to tire for full size tractors and many other types of offroad construction equipment

ThreeHorses

I switched to bar tires on my blower and plow tractors.

These along with wheel weights and suitcase weights on the back work great.

No scratching up the asphalt or concrete with chains.

I did use chains on my loader type tires on the GT14 I used to plow gardens with, helped traction on slick grass.

Now I use my Kubota BX2370 to plow gardens with with ag tires.

It's also got 4 wheel drive which makes a huge difference.

Also makes a huge difference when using the loader vs a 520H I used to have or the one my son has.

I still like my wheel horses, actually have 4 of them.

I do like the ags with weights for plowing snow though, wouldn't go back to chains.

My ags are Carlisle's, don't know if brand would make a difference.

multihobbyguy

Sounds like the Firestone's are the way to go. When I get these and I have the Tru Powers for my D I can give them both a workout and I will know what I want in the future, Thank you all so much for sharing your insight. I really appreciate it, Chris.

cheesegrader

I've been told that tri-ribs on the front of a loader are not a good idea.

I believe it.

They can dig in and make maneuvering the loader even more of a chore than normal,

and that extra wear in the steering can't be good over the long term.

Tri ribs are great on dirt, or on a plow tractor, but go with something smooth on the front of the loader.

multihobbyguy

I've been told that tri-ribs on the front of a loader are not a good idea.

I believe it.

They can dig in and make maneuvering the loader even more of a chore than normal,

and that extra wear in the steering can't be good over the long term.

Tri ribs are great on dirt, or on a plow tractor, but go with something smooth on the front of the loader.

Thanks for the input. I had heard the opposite about tri-ribs. I have heard that they make a tractor turn easier with weight on the front of a tractor and that it keeps it from sliding when driving with a load. Every loader tractor my dad had growing up had tri-ribs on them. I would think someone would have just thrown junk/wore truck tires on the front of the tractors instead of buying tri-ribs. I am keeping the tires that are coming off for now so if the tri-ribs are to hard to turn I can throw these back on and give them a try, Someone one will probably chime in with their experience if I am lucky, Thank you for giving me a heads up and I will try googling or searching to find more information on the subject.

Tim

no matter which type you choose get 4 ply

you will need the extra weight rating with the loader

• Like 1

multihobbyguy

Here is some pictures of the tractor with the new shoes.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Edited by multihobbyguy
  • Like 2