PMaine

42" Mulching Deck Installation

PMaine

Hi everyone. I just bought a nice 42" mulching deck from a forum member this week, and I can't get it to hang right on my tractor.

When raised the left side hangs way down (almost touching the ground) while the right side is up nice and high.

When down, the left wheel is very close to the deck, someone at some point cut the deck to give it more clearance as seen in the photo below.

I have reinstalled this 3 times now and I seem to have it on right, but something is up. The deck itself looks fine nothing bent or missing!

20140417_194557_zps4kniyufe.jpg

As you can see the deck has been cut to give additional clearance.

20140417_194612_zps0aygxniz.jpg

20140417_194602_zpsxwr0nrfa.jpg

skrusins

Looks like you got the deck in the wrong lift pin. It might help if you take a pic from under tractor so we can see how you're attached.

PMaine

Hmm I don't think I could have screwed that up because there's only one slot? I will take some more photos tomorrow.

daveoman1966

You MAY NOT have the deck hung correctly.  This is a description of how to mount the deck and, although this is is for 42 & 48 side disch decks, the 42" rear disch decks are hung in exactly the same way. 

It MAY be that you don't have the FORK on the HITCH SHAFT aligned correctly.  The fork MUST engage the bar of the hitch marked with the red 'X'.  If it doesn't, then the deck will have the propensity to slide fwd / bkwd at will. (Instructions in BLUE.)   Whats more, the locking LATCH must be fully locked onto the HITCH SHAFT to keep the deck from flopping up down on LT / RT level.

If you've followed the installation correctly as above, and you still have a lot of flopping around, then the linkages and / or shims may be worn out, or maybe some bolts have worked loose.         

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

PMaine

Thanks for posting this. I checked again, and it appears I have the fork placed into the correct bar, the deck is locked in place front to back, just side to side it is all over the place. Maybe this is normal?

Edited by PMaine

PMaine

Here are some more photos, you can see how it hangs tilted to one side:

20140418_185216_zps7v05p9is.jpg

Fork engaged:

20140418_185201_zpsskkmgv4z.jpg

Lift arm in place and pinned:

20140418_185147_zpsrgcdgayx.jpg

Edited by PMaine

gwest_ca

Manuals for 1993 model 78355

Garry

PMaine

Thank you. I read through them, I have it installed correctly. I must be missing something, or is this hanging off to the side normal?

rexman72

its not normal to hang off the side  but I keep looking at the pics and it all looks right to me.

squonk

The deck carrier has bushings where it bolts to the deck. See if your not missing any

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

The deck carrier has bushings where it bolts to the deck. See if your not missing any

That's what i was thinking  :handgestures-thumbup::dunno:

Desko

To me it looks like something is bent causing this to happen. Or check the stops that hit the foot rests.

Edited by Desko

dennist

I used this same deck last year on one of my tractors and it did not hang like that. All your pics look correct though...I wonder on the bushings as Squonk and Shuboxlover suggest?

The odd thing as John stated above was the piece cut from the deck suggests a PO may have had a similar problem?

PMaine

Well I am lost! Just spent the morning taking a good look at it all. Everything is there and everything is straight. The deck is in great shape so I am stumped.

Bushings- there dont appear to be any and I can't see where they would be used.

The lift arm is welded to one side of the frame it is not dead center so I can't see how it ever would lift straight?

312Hydro

I can't tell from the pictures but, are the square rubber bumpers hitting the footrests when raised? Maybe one is missing?

Edited by 312Hydro

PMaine

Only on one side. The right side that drops down is not touching in the raised position.

oldlineman

Not sure but I have a 1989 414-8 with 42 rear deck and mine does not have the cotter pin and washers on the lift pin, is this something new? My deck is a 0542mr04,    81669,   7336. Not sure if the pin is pulling the deck to far one way not letting it center itself.  Bob

PMaine

Alright guys to conclude this discussion-

I adjusted the chain to a higher notch on the lifting arm so that when raised the deck will be up tight against the stops (so it rides correctly in the up position now). When lowered it can still drop all the way to the ground to ride on the deck wheels. Something is definitely off but it should work just fine. Belts should arrive on Monday so I will install and give it a whirl.

• Like 2

Tim

I would not focus on what is happening when it is hanging

when it is running the deck is down, hanging on the front and the rear wheels are setting the height

find a flat surface with the deck down, measure the blade height from the ground on at least the two outer sides.

if they are the same I would go with it.

PMaine

You're right and that's what I realized. I received the belts and installed, everything seems to work just fine!

Kwa1ski

Glad to hear the it works fine. I had to fight with mine to get in on my Sk-486. I have a 42 incher as well. Mine is a side discharge though. Since my tractor is an Sk it uses leftover pieces from C series and so on. There should be two rubber stops that hit or come close to hitting the bottom of the floor plates. One side may be heavier than the other which would cause the tilt. if you sharpen your blades make sure to balance them. Here is a drawing that explains the lift arm linkage. It is for a C160 but I believe it is the same for a lot of WH's, it was for my Sk at least. Here. I hope this helps.

@Oldlineman: Mine doesn't have a cotter pin either. Nor does it seem to have a hole for one.

PMaine

I've used this deck twice now and I love it so far. I bought a plow from a forum member a couple weeks ago and i've been using the heck out of that, so the deck comes off and on a lot.

20140511_174807_zpszrj3oovr.jpg

Butch

Maybe it's me but I can't see where the arm is inserted into the Attach A Matic. I can see that the lift arm is

inserted and I don't even think they need to be pinned. But if the arm is not attached to the Attach A Matic

it will tilt.