hym123

Timing maybe

hym123

Hi there chuck from save old iron told me to give you a shout for some advice chuck got new job and has no time to help he helped me about two years ago redo a Tecky 12 horse and convert to Chrysler ignition I used the solid state pic up I didnt use a suburu pic up not sure what my problem is but will explan hope you can help though it might bea timing issue worked fine than one day when under a load seems like the governor shaft in motor activates very ubrubly and motor knocks and dyes like it's detonating I moved pic up on the tall pin both advanced and retarded and still when throttle up it goes bad I can't see that the governor set up went bad at idle it ok but can tell motor give shaft wants to advance I did looked at all linkage and spring looks right and acts right except I hope not the gears in motor did something any thoughts Can post a Video if needed

Thanks

Eric

Save Old Iron

eric - i checked in to see how you are doing - excuse my typing as im taveling and using a smartphone,not a computer and cannot attach any pics

the long pin is used to start the tractor more easily by retarding the ignition - it sounds like that is ok as it starts and idles ok

as the flywheel speed increases the trigger can then see the short pin and the timing changes over to more advanced setting to run better - this happens about 800 rpm - this would not account for you bogging down from full speed

to check if timing is the issue, hookup a timing light off the plug and point it at the flywheel pins under the pickup - uyou should see the engine firing on the short pin - make sure short pin is still on flywheel - if it flew off - you will always fire on retarded ignition from the long pin

short pin should stick out 3/16 inch from flywheel

long pin should stick out  1/4 inch from flywheel

i will be home late sunday night and check in again

hym123

One thing I didn't check was to see if I sheared the keyway but it starts and ideals after it dyes it seems like it has so much compression won't turn over and restart until I let it sit for two or three minutes than starts right up fine and ideals I moved pic up away and closer still same symptoms I will but the timing light on tonight and see and yes both pins are still there in flywheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hym123

When gov activates and asked for more fuel from carb could it not be a timing issue but a excess if raw fuel in top of piston Why I say this is because it won't start back up right away but than in a minute or less the starter can than turn it over and it fires right up just hope it's not internal gov issue

Jim_M

If it's hard to turn over when it's hot, that would lead me to believe the timing is advanced too far.

hym123

Ok got to start up well turn key and fires right up turn of and no problems but when cold the gov acts properly and linkage out of motor doesn't get pined in full throttle mod but when engine get warm it than acts up the gov shaft out of motor forces in full power mode and locks motor right up and stalls can't figure out

Save Old Iron

fires right up turn of and no problems but when cold ...........engine get warm ...................locks motor right up and stalls

ignition system is working but you need to confirm engines fires on short pin when above idle - if so - then confirm mechanical timing is correct - set by flywheel to engine internals (flywheel key not sheared)

if that's all good, quickly pull the spark plug when engine stalls and manually rotate the flywheel / crank to see if the engine internals are binding up when hot. Maybe the rod journal or piston is seizing ?

hym123

Ok will do