formariz

RJ axle bronze bearings

formariz

Does anyone know of a source for the RJ axle bronze bearings?

Thank you

VinsRJ

I typically get them off of amazon, you can also get them off of ebay or through any bearing outlet

formariz

Does it matter if they are only 1" long instead of 1-1/2"? I have never changed them before so I am not sure.

VinsRJ

The original was 1 x 1-1/8 x 1-1/2... I would use the original size as there is quite a-bit of load on those outer axle bushings... you are going to want as much contact as possible because once the bearing wears it wipes out the axle seal with it.

Edited by VinsRJ

formariz

Just having a hard time finding them that long.

VinsRJ

I just did a quick search and I would have to agree, doesn't look like they are as readily available as they once were. Check with your local bearing outlet or worst case you will have to purchase a 4" bearing and cut it down.

formariz

I just did a quick search and I would have to agree, doesn't look like they are as readily available as they once were. Check with your local bearing outlet or worst case you will have to purchase a 4" bearing and cut it down.

Found the 4" long one at McMaster Carr but its over $50.00 each! Ouch

formariz

Just a shot in the dark here since I have never done this before, but it looks like the shaft from the case to the seal is long enough to put more than one bearing in there? :hide:

VinsRJ

There should be a machined lip in the axel tube, therefore not allowing the bushihing to be pressed in beyond the 1-1/2 inch in depth point. If you do install two bushings you will have to cut down one of the 1 inch bushihing down to a 1/2 inch.

Check ebay and amazon... I beleive the 4" bushing maybe cheaper.

stevasaurus

You can get the correct length for the axles from Motion Industries...check out the pinned cross over at the top of the Transmission Section...the 1st pdf.  The ones for the differential are 1/4" longer and need to be cut.  I tap them in 1/4" into the differential and cut them with a saws-all then file the burrs.  I include the Motion Industries catalog number so you can go onto their website and see the part and the price.  They are only a couple of $.  :)

here is the link...

Edited by stevasaurus

wallfish

You can order all the correct sizes from these guys. No cutting required

http://www.asbbearings.com/

SMITTY

Is there any way to get those bearings out without breaking the trans apart. Put a new seal on but didn't last long.

Racinbob

Unfortunately not Smitty. There's just no way to get a grip of them and they are pretty snug. I used a close fitting socket and drove them out from the inside.

stevasaurus

You have to split the trans to get them out...once the axle is out of there...you can use a small screw driver to cut the bronze and then pull out the old one with a needle nose pliers...tap in the new one and then hone it to fit the axle.  You will see what I mean when you try to put in the axle and it is tight..:)  A little Emory cloth on your finger will get it done.  :)

SMITTY

I was just dreaming knew that was the only way just don't want to pull it all apart. Its the only thing I'm scared of besides my Wife.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Smitty, wake up and stop dreaming. I would still be afraid of the wife, but the trans is easy. :ychain: .. I have plenty of videos and pictures to walk you through it...not really that hard to do.  Let me know...I can post links if you have not found them all.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: Smitty, Steve can guide you through it with his expertise. I can't say I was afraid of tearing into mine but more like a bit intimidated. Posts here and Skyping with Steve got me through it just fine and it was actually fun.......except for a few moments :) . You could even do it one side at a time and not pull any innards out. But be careful not to get any old gasket material inside. Just get the bushings and a pair of gaskets and have at it. Jake Kuhn has great gaskets. Your biggest fear could be getting the hubs off but you've already had them off. Of course, once you get the side plates off you probably should check the bearings and the like. Once you see the inside I'm betting your fears will disappear. But you already know that fearing the wife started when you said "I do". :hide:(Me every evening at 5:30 when the wife gets home and tells me what I did wrong that day)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Believe me, I would rather tear apart a trans any day, then have to deal with the wife on a bad day.  :ychain: The smell of tranny fluid is awesome compared to not even having a chance.with the wife.  I was 21 years old when I said "I do"...at that time, I did not think I would live past 30.  Well, I am almost 65 now...which means that I am a survivor...chicken...know when to hide...etc,...all of the above.  Transmissions make since...wives do not...but when you can rebuild one for not much money, and the horse lasts another 40 years...she has a tough time arguing with that....it is a win/win.  :orcs-cheers:   Start a thread Smitty and you know we like pictures.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

SMITTY

Still Thinking will let you know.