stratostar250

setting idle on a k241 (and a random question)

stratostar250

Hey All!  Since I've obtained my 82' C-105, I have been tinkering with it here and there, and I feel that it was about time to try and sort out the running speed and the idle.  I have tinkered with the throttle cable and adjustments, according to the book/Kohler repair manual, and I just cannot grasp how to do exactly what I want.  I have a visual tachometer which seems to work well.  I was able to get the engine speed up to about 3350-3400 rpm (which I find acceptable compared to the 2900 it would only rev up to) But now, I have no idea how to bring the idle lower.  The idle is around 2700-2600 rpm and I would very much like to lower it (It went much lower before i brought up the running speed, sometimes to where it would stall, but I made some adjustments to the idle fuel screw on the carb, I feel that was out of adjustment, it idled much better after and I had forgotten to take an rpm measurement).

I am just hoping someone can maybe give me some pointers on how to do this.  I appreciate the help because I cannot figure it out! :thanks:

Oh, and the random question is, the Wheel Horse owners manual from 1982 says that the idle rpm for this tractor should be 2100 rpm.  I am just curious as to why this may be, and if I should try to set it there, or if this motor is safe to idle lower (I'm sure there is a reason why it was claimed to idle so high though).  It is a model K241AS.  I am mainly wondering, because the K241S on my 310-8, the idle speed in the Wheel Horse owners manual is 1000 rpm :scratchead: .  I am just surprised at the difference.

I appreciate all your input guys! :thumbs:

:wh:

stevebo

Bring it to the meet and greet and we will get it tuned in. 

• Like 1

stratostar250

I could do that! That would be awesome! I appreciate it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

hm12460

The idle speed may be as high as it is because your old Kohler is splash lubricated and air cooled. Too low of an idle speed may result in insufficient lubrication, and not enough air flow over the engine to keep it cool. The "fins" on your flywheel draw cooling air through that screen on your blower housing and direct it up over the cylinder head to keep things cool.

rmaynard

I'm not sure why the 1982 C-105 has an idle speed of 2100 RPM. If you check the Kohler service manual, it states that idle speed should be at 1200 RPM +/- 75. Then it goes on to say that the idle speed should not exceed 1500 RPM. Here is a snapshot from the K-Series manual.

post-2221-0-70018100-1397698317.png

stratostar250

I'm not sure why the 1982 C-105 has an idle speed of 2100 RPM. If you check the Kohler service manual, it states that idle speed should be at 1200 RPM +/- 75. Then it goes on to say that the idle speed should not exceed 1500 RPM. Here is a snapshot from the K-Series manual.

attachicon.gifidlespeed.png

Yeah, I was surprised, I saw that too, and thats why I was asking, unless it is a typo in the wheel horse owners manual, but it does say 2100 :confusion-questionmarks:

post-12245-0-67773900-1397700913_thumb.p

Edited by stratostar250

stratostar250

I could do that! That would be awesome! I appreciate it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

On second thought, as of yesterday, It started running quite poorly, I'll probably put up a different post relating to that.  I think it needs a carb cleaning or something before the idle gets fixed.  I may still bring it, but I don't want to be a bother for anyone.  If I can get it to run better again, I'll bring it for sure! Then again, I'm probably going to bring it over via trailer, so maybe i'll bring the 310 for something reliable to ride around :handgestures-fingerscrossed: and the c105, and if we all have time, we can look at it.  I just hate to be a burden.   :eusa-doh:

Edited by stratostar250

rmaynard

Sure seems easy enough to transpose the 1 and the 2 when preparing the manual. 1200 suddenly becomes 2100 and the proof-reader missed it. If it were mine, I would go by what the Kohler manual says, not the owners manual.

• Like 1

stratostar250

Sure seems easy enough to transpose the 1 and the 2 when preparing the manual. 1200 suddenly becomes 2100 and the proof-reader missed it. If it were mine, I would go by what the Kohler manual says, not the owners manual.

I agree, I think that is what I am going to do.