Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Paint

Sarge

Ok, so I read through all the paint threads , thanks - my eyes are bleeding now .

I have an issue though - the Wimbledon white from Dupli-color is , well , junk . The stuff doesn't cover , seems to have no solids base and can be nicked easily , so easily I'm taking it off . I've used the Valspar IH Resto Red to do some touch-ups on the 1277 and it's pretty tough , or at least so on the deck . The off-white is a real problem since it's on the wheels , so I gotta find something a lot more durable so I can install her new shoes this week ! I used the Dupli-junk etching primer but would also prefer a solid-based red oxide primer instead since it just works better on high wear items .

Any ideas ??

Sarge

daemon2525

I know that this does not help, but I am using Rustoleum spray bomb.

Rustolueum Specialty Farm Equipment

"matches IH red"

I put Rusty metal primer under, and spray it and it is tough, if not perfect car quality. I'm gonna use the tractor anyway.

Sarge

That's my issue- if it were just for show the paint would be fine , but this old girl works and works hard , so the paint has to stay on . I'd knock almost every bit of this junk off just mounting her new shoes !

Wonder if Valspar has any tractor enamels in this color range of off-white/beige?

Sarge

linen beige

Check the threads under the painting tips category. There is one there from just a couple days ago about just this color paint.

Btw. I painted a 1967 Thunderbird with Dupli-color cans back in 1979 (no compressor at the time.). I opened up the engine in '80 and then got into other things so it was parked in the woods. When it was sold in '06 the paint still had a good shine. The cans you got must have been really old stock, or you got a bad lot. I've used quiet a few of their colors and always had good luck. :banghead:

Rollerman

Sarge I moved your thread to the "Paint" area.

Wheels are always a bear to paint & then mount tires up...get scratched to easy.

Like you say the off white's don't cover good sometimes either.

I've had good luck useing gray primer, then shooting 1 or 2 coats of color on the front wheels. "I use Valspar or Krylon rattle can"

I then mount the front tires leave them flat & I use cheap aluminium foil to cover the front tires & give them another coat or two of color.

Everything dries up pull the aluminium foil then inflate the tires & I'm all set.

Kinda a pain...but it's worked for me so far.

sorekiwi

I'm not sure any fresh paint will stand up to tire mounting...

I've been painting the outer rim of my wheels after the tire is mounted (but before the bead is popped out). I use a piece of bubble wrap with a hole cut in it to mask off the tire. Red oxide primer followed by grey primer followed by the off white (all Valspar rattle cans).

Sarge

Wow, excellent tips guys :banghead:

The paint did harden up a bit over night . I laid it in 3 good even coats and it does have a good shine now . Biggest pain was running out , used 2 cans already and bought 2 more today . Just lousy coverage. On a side note, I did try a quick shot of Valspar Cub Cadet beige , way too "beige" . The Wimbledon White does look about right , even when shot on an existing rim on the 1277 . BTW, she's getting new shoes - Ags on all fours ! Mowed 2 acres today with her, a lot of it right through standing water , no less . The 48" deck sure drags the 301 down but it still pulls right through really well .

Speaking of mounting tires - I know at one time I saw a shop that had a set of glass filled nylon or some sort of ABS plastic tire tools for motorcycles . I laughed at the guy until he showed me how much stress they take to mount some of those xtra wide rears on hill climbers , pretty cool and would love to find a set for doing these tractor tires !

Google didn't turn up much .... any ideas ?

Sarge

Sarge

Ok, new shoes are on as well as the rear weights, looks pretty good . Just need to work on posting pics here , not sure if I like the narrow 4.80 front ag's on it or not .

Sarge