shallowwatersailor

Out with the Old - In with the Older!

shallowwatersailor

Today my 1981 IH Cub Cadet 582 Special was finally picked up. It was sold a year ago but the new owner never retrieved it until today. Tom Rupprecht's hitch with crane attachment for the HF crane came in handy as the Peerless 2300 transmission was  locked in gear. The previous owner of my house had pushed it into the field where it was abandoned.

post-3066-0-40958700-1397416164_thumb.jp

Not wasting any time (much to my wife's chagrin!) it was off to the local tractor show where I bought this 1952 David Bradley Model 917.57560 "Super Power." It has a 2 1/4 hp Briggs model 8 engine. The first model sold with the more powerful engine, it still retained the red hood.  This one runs compared to the Cub!

Being from Illinois originally, I had to have a piece of Illinois history. This should be an easy restore as it is complete.  Just to give a size perspective, I parked it next to the 518xi. The 16" wheels are impressive! Downside is when I go to replace the tires, they will cost three times what I paid for the Bradley. But seeing as the Cub was free and the Bradley cost the same as what I sold the Cub for, I am ahead in the game - so far.

post-3066-0-06515900-1397416244_thumb.jppost-3066-0-75601900-1397416273_thumb.jppost-3066-0-01546000-1397416296_thumb.jp

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

Cool 'ol DB John...   :text-datsphatyo:   

now you just need the sulky. 

Sparky

Did the guy pickin up the Cub have a big enough trailer :scratchead:  !

Mike.........

shallowwatersailor

Did the guy pickin up the Cub have a big enough trailer :scratchead:  !

Mike.........

He hauls cattle  in his retirement. I did NOT step inside the trailer, if you catch my drift! :D

squonk

That Bradley is just itchin for some dualies!  :eusa-think:  :)

• Like 1

Ken B

I've been wanting a David Bradley for a long time.. Nice score for sure!

Is it in original condition? It looks nice enough to leave alone but they really look nice all done up! Are the tires bad? What brand are they? They look kinda cool, you might save yourself a lot of dough if they are in good shape...

shallowwatersailor

I've been wanting a David Bradley for a long time.. Nice score for sure!

Is it in original condition? It looks nice enough to leave alone but they really look nice all done up! Are the tires bad? What brand are they? They look kinda cool, you might save yourself a lot of dough if they are in good shape...

The bandit was out again with this as I only paid $100.00 for it. PLUS - the guy delivered it for me so no rear view mirror shot! :sad:

The tires are Mansfield 6.50-16. The tread is aged but the sidewalls are decent. I have only taken it for a few "walks" as I am still recovering from foot surgery. The outside of the hood may have been repainted at one time as it has a rough finish but not too scratched. But the frame looks original and not faded. Today I'm going to change the fluids, try polishing what I can, and put some tire paint on the tires. The gas line is a bit cobbled but the tank looks to be in good shape compared to some I have seen. No rust, at least inside on the top where I can feel. I'll scope it with my HF snake camera as well to be sure. The Briggs 8 is sure a small engine. The economy model only had 1 1/2 hp so I'm glad I got the "big" engine! But, Mike, I don't think that it could handle dualies. :) Craig, I have been looking at the HF Trailer Dolly to see if I could adapt that until I can find an original. It has to have a U-bend bracket to ride on the saddle bracket to get under the transmission as the hitching point is at the front. The original actually flexed at the saddle bracket.  Love the kickstand!

post-3066-0-29205000-1397484145_thumb.jppost-3066-0-27188400-1397484163_thumb.jppost-3066-0-48734700-1397484185_thumb.jppost-3066-0-22547000-1397484214_thumb.jppost-3066-0-67784900-1397484964_thumb.jp

post-3066-0-54253300-1397484997_thumb.jp

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:  I've never seen one up close, in person.   :thanks:

Zeek

Tread is a little rough, BUT the rest of the tires look to be pretty crack free.  

Depending on the type of resto you plan, you scrub the crap out them and do the old black latex paint trick.

I did it with this tractor because I wanted to keep the original tires . . .  just an idea

DSC05757.jpg

DSC06534.jpg

DSC06540.jpg

shallowwatersailor

Spent a few hours on it today, and I am very pleased with the result. I think that I will reapply new "Super Power" decals on the hood (they're cursive in yellow and below the name) and leave it at that. Found that the one tire has a big crack in the sidewall so I may have to put tires on it eventually. Then I will paint the wheels the correct green. The engine could use paint, although it is grey and restored units in pictures show black. More things to research! Now to find  a sulky or cart. They have the brakes to stop with.

post-3066-0-64379100-1397515248_thumb.jppost-3066-0-57263300-1397515264_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Zeek

Dang, looks great!!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

WOW!!! learned about something new today.

Thanks John. Sweet find. Looks great. Elbow grease still works.

Glenn

grnlark

That thing looks fantastic just as it sits!

shallowwatersailor

Well after looking at it for a week, I have decided to "refresh" it after all. I plan to take from a 15 "footer" to a "5" footer. What got me was that at one time someone had used dark green on some of it. Also the wheels are the wrong color.

Reproduction decals are ordered, painting this weekend, and hopefully completed by next weekend. I'm looking for at least one attachment to display with it.

post-3066-0-76910000-1397917760_thumb.jp

47JDG

I work a large garden with my DB Super Power every spring / summer. The original Briggs Model 8 will handle duals or tire chains easily if its strong. All the more traction you can give it the better. I plowed snow with mine two winters ago as well. They can do a lot of work, I enjoy playing around with mine for fun and exercise. I have a moldboard plow, cultivator, spike tooth harrow, sickle bar mower, and snow plow attachments for mine.