dustycarter

Magnum 10hp not sparking

dustycarter

Got gave to me a 310-8. It has the older Kohler Magnum on it. Its not getting any fire. It has the coil on the side with 1 wire going to each side and the spark plug wire going from the middle top to the spark plug. I have no idea how to work on these. Where do I need to start on this

can whlvr

if its a magnum it will have an ignition module under the flywheel and the spark plug wire comes out there,if its a k it will have an external coil and points at the front bottom of the motor,it could be a seat switch,ttry crossing over(bypass)the seat switch with a wire and connectors,thats a common problem on these tractors,if its not that then we need to know what engine you have to help,it sounds as though you have a k series,which means stsrt by seeing if you have power to the coil from the key,thats one of the wires,if the seat switch is good and you have power to the coil then maybe the points are out of adjustment or burned out,bad condenser,bad spark plug,or bad sparkplug wire,check these things and go from there,

953 nut

Lets start with the basics, if it has an external coil it needs a battery, pull the plug, run a jumper from the battery + to the + terminal on the coil and crank it over to see if you have any spark, if not unhook the condenser and try again. If there is no spark unhook the jumper and check the points, if they look good hook up the jumper and see the points should spark when opened and closed.

Check back with us and let us know what you find out.

shorts

Find the engine info tag, write down the serial and spec numbers then get online and download the Kohler manual for your engine, it has a wealth of information that you need to read before you try to operate or repair your engine from a safety standpoint

the_nite_owl

Also, verify your engine ground.  My D-160 was having issues and I noticed while cranking it over I would sometimes get a spark between a dash panel screw and the dash panel itself.  It turns out that the battery was grounded to the frame but the ground was not sufficiently connected to the engine and it was trying to use ground off all connections to the engine such as wiring to the panel, throttle cable, choke, etc.  I ran a ground from the battery directly to the engine block and things cleared up.

dustycarter

Got it running! It was the points. After I read can whlvr post on where the points were at, took the cover off sanded them some and checked to see if it sparked. It is a kohler K series. Made sure all my grounds were grounded right too since it had been sitting a while. I drained all the gas out of it and in the morning going to get a new gas line, put new gas in it and hook up the tiller. Thanks to all for the help!

Also I do have the manual for it. I had somebody give me a bunch of wheel horse manuals and 1 happend to be in there!