Sign in to follow this  
Jman6

General Information needed please

Jman6

Greetings all, new to forum. :banghead:)

Had some questions for the experts on here...

I just found this 1991 toro WH, it has a 12 hp kohler magnum engine in it. Guy that was selling it seems to think that for sure it is the fuel pump that is out and why it will not run...but we all know how back yard mechanics can be.

I went and looked at it last night, this is what I know. It turns over, I jump started it to be sure that it was not seized up. I do know that the key for the ignition will not turn it over, had to put the positive straight to the starter. That could be one of several things, from the seat kill switch needing to be redone, to the parking brake not being set. Haven't had time to get the owners manual out.

The negatives: Sat out in a trailer for a year or so. Everything needs to be cleaned, would not be so bad but I am one of those guys that like things to be clean. Choke cable is locked up. Missing the lights toggle switch. Guy tried to take the fuel pump off, so I think I will get it all hooked back up and straight and try it without that and in the meantime order a new one. Gonna need to change the oil. Drain the fuel tank and clean it out. Also there is a wire that is just hanging there, could be for the loghts toggle switch, not sure.

The positives: Looks great for it's age. WILL turn over. Came with a rototiller attachment and snow thrower attachment. Also it was only 295. So if I can get it running then it should be a good deal.

My query to the forum is, is there anything else that I should check out?

Other than that am just very excited about this thing! :USA:

Thanks for reading, Jman

T-Mo

First, :banghead: .

First hook up the fuel pump and crank the engine to see if you have fuel from it to the carb. You may have to prime the pump first. You can also bypass the fuel pump by hooking up an auxiliary fuel tank to use as a gravity fed system to see if it will start and run. Carb probably will need a good cleaning. I would also replace the fuel filter and change the oil and oil filter. If you do get it running, check the transmission by placing it in all the gears to see if it's okay.

I say you did good if you got all that for $295. The 300 series are strong garden tractors, very heavy duty, very versatile. Good find.

sorekiwi

For $295 you'd get your money back selling the attachments, I'd go for it.

As Terry just said, I'd dump out the old fuel, change the filter, see if the pump works, (if not jury rig a gravity system to see if she'll run) and clean out the carb.

Change the oil, and (I assume its a stick?) I'd drain the tranny fluid too, since its been sitting outside for a while, and the horses are a bit prone to filling up the tranny with water through a bad shifter boot.

The things only 17 years old, should be good for another 20 at least!

Oh, and :banghead:

Jman6

JDTerry and sorekiwi, thanks for the welcome and the information!

I thought it was a good deal, course you always hope so when you take a chance and buy something like this. After reading all the information I could find for the last week it seems like these are a very popular machine, almost a bit of a cult following.

I am kind of amazed as to how cheap the guy was willing to sell it, in his documents for the machine that he gave me he paid over 5400 brand new for it,at least that is what the sales receipt says.

Course out here, in Central Washington, everyone seems to be big on John deere's and craftsman and MTD. So maybe it is just my area that does not have these.

Thanks again for the info!

PS stupid question following ( like I said have not had time to read the owners manual) What type of oil and tranny fluid should I use in this?

Jman

Duff

Hi, Jman, and :omg: !

I've got an '89 312-8 with the 12hp Kohler Magnum. Even with 970 hours on it, it's a smooth running, hard working clean machine!

I run Quaker State 10w30 in the engine and 90 weight oil in the tranny. Seems to work pretty well and as I recall, others here have recommended that combo for warm and cold weather uses.

Now as to the engine oil, there's bound to be a raging but good humored debate on who makes the best oil, and whether synthetic should reign over fossil. We've tossed this around the forum a few times before....just letting you know what could happen! :banghead:

Again, :thumbs: , and glad to have you aboard!

Duff :USA:

Jman6

Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate them. One more question...

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...0001-1999999%29

This site I have seen here for reccomendations on parts, but in looking closer at it most of the parts for the 1991 312-8 kohler engine are discontinued. Is there a better site or should I start trying to find a dealer?

Thanks, in advance, Jman

Duff

..... most of the parts for the 1991 312-8 kohler engine are discontinued. Is there a better site or should I start trying to find a dealer?

Thanks, in advance, Jman

Jman, try:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb2.cfm

I've found almost every part I've needed for my '89 312-8 there at fair prices and fast shipping. I did a frame-off rebuild (I've since realized I'm not skilled enough to call my work "restoration! :USA: ) and replaced a ton of parts.

Cheers!

Duff :banghead:

Jman6

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it.

Having trouble finding the fuel pump online, but will keep at it.

If you get a chance I posted the pics of the machine in the wheel horse section of the forum.

Jman

jerrell

:omg: welcome jman, as u have read in posts, you will get the best info here, in looking for parts, i just ordered a ton of parts from ebay, saw a lot of fuel pumps for kohler engines, but you take a chance on getting one that is worse than the one you have, i order just metal framework parts over ebay and get all electrical and engine parts new, don't want to have to mess around two times with a worn out part. :banghead: also check the "for sale " site here for parts , you can rely on the folks here, bought some parts and was always just as described. just my 2 cents worth but make sure your fuel system is clean , really clean a dirty system can cause you any number problems :USA: